New to GTD - @Computer - ? RE: Outlook Sync to IPAQ

M

mrolive

I'm a GTD newbie, but am convince this is the approacch I've been looking for all my life. I've set up my email, tasks and notes per DA's direction in both books and in the Workflow Processing Guideline I purchased. When I sync my computer to my IPAQ 3870, I do not get the category breakdown. All tasks and notes come over individually.

What am I doing wrong? Surely someone has this figured out already.... thanks in advance for helping me be more productive!

webagogue

Registered
Re: New to GTD - @Computer - ? RE: Outlook Sync to IPAQ

mrolive said:
When I sync my computer to my IPAQ 3870, I do not get the category breakdown. All tasks and notes come over individually.

How do you break them down? Do you assign a value (category) to the "category" field on your tasks and notes in Outlook? Do you simply put them in folders?

Just an FYI, the ONLY way I`ve found to work the system on both a PC and PDA and maintain synchronize-ability is by using the "category" field.

M

mrolive

SYNC PC and PPC and retain "Catagories"

Thanks for your response. On my PC, I'm using "Catagories" for my Notes and Tasks; just as DA recommends. The problem appears to be that my PDA (PPC IPAC 3870) does not support the classification of notes or tasks by catagory. I've read that there are third party apps like "Pocket Informant: and "Agenda Fusion" that solve this problem. The question is; is a third party app required and if so, which is better for implementing GTD!

webagogue

Registered
All PocketPCs synch categories for tasks

does not support the classification of notes or tasks by catagory.

Tasks will synchronize categories. You cannot not synchronize categories for tasks. It happens without any interaction on your part. Notes will not show categories on the PocketPC.

When you view your tasks, right below the "Tasks" label in the start bar is a drop-down list. It probably says "All Tasks." If you click that drop down, you should see the categories you entered on your PC. Selecting the categories will filter the data.

Because one cannot view notes by category on the PocketPC (stupid Windows CE limitation) I began using the Journal feature in outlook and CLC Journal by crownlogic for my PocketPC. CLC Journal supports categories.

PI and AF are both good VIEWERS but they only show the data that is held in the standard PocketPC databases for contacts, tasks, notes, etc. There are some exceptions in regards to linking items in PI and AF but those links are not synced back to outlook.

So, I think PI and AF are good products but they will not "solve" any category issues.

U

Unregistered

Is this still true?

It's now March 2005. Is it still true that these is no way to sync notes categories to a Pocket PC?

P

ProfDD

You CAN synch categories to a Pocket PC !

Although you may not get full functionality, you get the basics: sublists of tasks by category. The view can handle a sort by one additional variable, like due date, and seems to also sort by priority.

There is some kind of Folder capability in PPC Notes, but I don't know how it synchs with Outlook.

S

Shane Lindsay

Shane Lindsay

Agenda Fusion and pocket informant are both good and offer similar features, but of the two I would go for pocket informant, which currently seems to be in the lead. I think it will provide a solution to your problem, and its calendar, task, notes and contact features are WAY better than the standard ones.

MsftMan

Registered
Shane Lindsay said:
Agenda Fusion and pocket informant are both good and offer similar features, but of the two I would go for pocket informant, which currently seems to be in the lead. I think it will provide a solution to your problem, and its calendar, task, notes and contact features are WAY better than the standard ones.
And I use Agenda Fusion. So be true to yourself MrOlive and try both of these apps. Both offer 15 or 30 day trials now. So try both and you can decide which one is best before you buy.

-Steve Banks