new user, hooked

I

izzy

Bought the book Thursday, 6th October.
Read it Thursday and Friday.
Saturday and Sunday I cleaned out my office using GTD. (I'm a freelance writer/editor, working from home. I usually work 8 - 4 with half an hour off for lunch.)
Monday, 10th Oct., finished work at 3.30 (actually got more done than in my normal 7 1/2 hour day).
Today, Tuesday, 11th, I've finished work already. It's 1.30.
If I keep this up, I'll be finsihed my work before I've even started! ;-)
Seriously, have other people experienced this phenomena? Does it wear off? (I hope not!)

P

pageta

Well, that's the first phase. But then it gets better because you get ideas for more fun exciting things to do and you start spending your time on things that you're really passionate about instead of what you were doing before (which you may or may not be passionate about). You may have thought you loved your life before, but now you'll really love your life.

Thanks for posting - it's fun to celebrate with you!

Busydave

Registered
pageta said:
Well, that's the first phase. But then it gets better because you get ideas for more fun exciting things to do and you start spending your time on things that you're really passionate about instead of what you were doing before (which you may or may not be passionate about). You may have thought you loved your life before, but now you'll really love your life.

… and in particular see David’s blog of October 6.

Dave

I

izzy

Dave's blog of Oct. 6th

Went through all of Dave's blogs but couldn't find whichever one I should have looked at. Like the car, though, and the photos from the trip. ;)

Not so high today as yesterday. The day started off fine, looking in my time planner and my tickler and doing what I had to get done. Later, though, I got blocked by one of my authors who is very, very difficult to work with. He just won't do the re-writes I need from him. (I'm editing a school book, so we need to follow certain rules laid down by the Education Department, but he thinks he's writing a novel :roll: . ) Had to write him emails asking nicely, demanding, threatening, before I could get the material out of him. It's not the way I like to work.

Being British, this frustration led me into the kitchen several times for cups of tea. How to deal with people who won't get things done when I'm trying to get things done?

:idea: Switching off computer now to make more tea.

P

pageta

izzy said:
How to deal with people who won't get things done when I'm trying to get things done?

A couple of ideas....

Break down what you need into a next action for them. Instead of asking for the finished piece, ask for a rough draft to review. Make it as easy and simple as possible.

Expressing confidence in their ability (aka "I know you're a great writer with lots of great ideas...so I'm really anxious to see what you have so far") can help.

State your request in terms of what's in it for them. This may take a bit more thought, but is certainly worth it.

Buy more tea...your favorite kind. Consider the project justification for drinking all you want. :)

kewms

Registered
izzy said:
Being British, this frustration led me into the kitchen several times for cups of tea. How to deal with people who won't get things done when I'm trying to get things done?

Pageta's suggestion to buy more tea was a good one. Also a selection of your favorite tea biscuits and/or chocolates. If you think it would help, you could even send a package of these to the author.

You might also dig a little deeper and figure out why he won't do the rewrites. That might help you figure out what lever to use to nudge him along. If he thinks the rewrite request is a stupid waste of his time, you might need to take a different approach than if he sincerely wants to do the rewrites but is stuck for some reason.

I'm a writer myself, and I can tell you that even the most conscientous, deadline-focused, professional people out there sometimes do get stuck, usually without quite understanding why. If that's the situation in this case, helping him get unstuck is likely to be more effective in the long run than threatening him. If, on the other hand, he is just plain refusing to do the rewrite, your only alternative may be to beat the draft out of him by whatever means necessary, and cross him off your list for future projects.

Katherine

TesTeq

Registered
One thing (action) at a time.

pageta said:
Break down what you need into a next action for them.
I found that you can successfuly request from people one thing (action) at a time. It works for both - children and adults. If I ask my son to do the homework and tidy up his room - nothing is done. But when I ask him to do the math homework he will do it. Then I can ask him to learn biology and he will do it. And so on. The same works for adult people (90% of them are not good in multitasking and task scheduling).

andersons

Registered
kewms said:
I'm a writer myself, and I can tell you that even the most conscientous, deadline-focused, professional people out there sometimes do get stuck, usually without quite understanding why. If that's the situation in this case, helping him get unstuck is likely to be more effective in the long run than threatening him. If, on the other hand, he is just plain refusing to do the rewrite, your only alternative may be to beat the draft out of him by whatever means necessary, and cross him off your list for future projects.
Oh my goodness! Thank you for that! I can't stop laughing. I would like to think that I'm conscientous, deadline-focused, and professional, but I'm stuck on one of my writing projects right now. Brer Rabbit in the briar patch. I guess I need someone to beat the draft out of me!

kewms

Registered
For what it's worth, when I'm stuck it's usually because I'm trying to rush the process. For example, if I start writing (non-fiction) before I've internalized my notes on the topic, I'll end up with superficial conventional wisdom. The only cure seems to be to step back, take a deep breath, and go back to the point where I veered off track.

Which of course is easier said then done when I'm rushing in the first place because of a looming deadline...

Katherine

I

izzy

Thanks to all of your for your good advice.
The author who won't do his re-writes isn't blocked. He just won't do his re-writes.
I've tried to encourage him; the project leader has tried to encourage him. No go. The man just wants every single thing he has written to come into the book exactly as he has written it. The sad thing is, because the guy is a first-time writer, the project leader and I both saw part of my job as giving him tips, author to author. Problem is, he just won't play ball. It's sad really. He's missing out on such a lot of creative fun. When I write something, I work hand in hand with my editor, brainstorming on the phone and in emails. When we meet, we always have such a good and productive time together. It's all down to team work, of course.

Had a look at the blog and will think about "process with perspective".

Am now going to start a new thread to do with an essential list and the stunning!! realization that I came to ...

kewms

Registered
izzy said:
The man just wants every single thing he has written to come into the book exactly as he has written it. The sad thing is, because the guy is a first-time writer, the project leader and I both saw part of my job as giving him tips, author to author. Problem is, he just won't play ball. It's sad really.

Yep, that is sad. He's missing a golden chance to improve, and clearly hasn't figured out that *everyone* has room to improve.

It seems two groups of writers feel this way. Beginners, and those at the very top of the heap. At least beginners have the excuse of not knowing any better.

Katherine

Day Owl

Registered
Try telling your stubborn writer that everyone needs a second pair of eyes and that authors who are truly professional tend to welcome editorial suggestions and changes. I once edited a book by a highly experienced editor, the head of a publishing company, and received profuse thanks. He, of all people, knew the value of an editor.

TesTeq

Registered
Is he your company President's son?

izzy said:
He just won't do his re-writes.
I've tried to encourage him; the project leader has tried to encourage him. No go. The man just wants every single thing he has written to come into the book exactly as he has written it.
Why do you have to work with this guy? What unique skills does he possess? Is he your company President's son?

Desultory

Registered
izzy said:
The man just wants every single thing he has written to come into the book exactly as he has written it.
Nobody gets that. It may be painful for him to accept feedback, but it's part of the necessary process of growing a thick enough skin.

Anyway, real writing happens in the rewrites.

P

pageta

TesTeq said:
Why do you have to work with this guy? What unique skills does he possess? Is he your company President's son?

That's what I was wondering!

I agree that as a in-experienced writer, it's easy to feel that way. The first time I had something published, I wanted it to go in the form that I had submitted it, but in the end, I was greatful that they just published it, editing or no editing. So I can kind of understand how he feels, but if you really want to strive toward excellence as a writer, you have to be open to editing your work.

If he really is this difficult to work with, I would make every effort to not have to include him in the next project.

A

ActionGirl

Is it possible to ask an experienced author who does "play ball" well to speak with him? The message might get through if it comes from a "real author."

andersons

Registered
TesTeq said:
Why do you have to work with this guy? What unique skills does he possess?
It looks like since he is a first-time writer, they were taking a chance on him. You win some, you lose some. . .

TesTeq said:
Is he your company President's son?
Funny! :)

I

izzy

TesTeq said:

Good one, TesTeq. No, he's not the president's son. He's just a new author who applied to write for the company and was taken on. He looked OK to begin with, but once it came to the editing, he just stuck his heels in and refused to budge. I won't be working with him again.

I

izzy

ActionGirl said:
Is it possible to ask an experienced author who does "play ball" well to speak with him? The message might get through if it comes from a "real author."

I'm the "real author" who's been asked to look after him. I've been working for almost 20 years as author/advisor/editor and have a really good reputation as someone who produces good work, on time and with no fuss. The project leader thinks that may be the guy's main problem - envy because I've "made it" and he hasn't.
Sad life, ain't it?