New webinar: GTD at Home - exclusive for GTD Connect members

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hello GTD Connect members,

We've just posted the registration link for a new members-only webinar called GTD at Home. Nancy LoCascio and Alana Wright will be presenting the webinar on February 25 at 10:00AM Pacific time.

This live webinar will be about applying GTD to your home and family life. Alana and Nancy are skilled coaches and presenters who will speak from their personal experience about how you can put GTD to best use in areas such as home management and parenting. There will be opportunities for Q&A with Alana and Nancy during the webinar.

To register, go to the home page of GTD Connect and click on the link in the upcoming webinars box on the right side of the screen.

See you there!

Barb

Registered
Thanks to Alana and Nancy too!

I have always appreciated the engagement of the coaches--posting in the forums, contributing articles. Webinars are a lot of work and, part of your job or not, they are very much appreciated!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Rhymes with pistachio

Nancy LoCascio just sent me a message to remind me that LoCascio rhymes with pistachio, in case I'm introducing her on the webinar. Most likely Nancy and Alana will introduce themselves. But I wanted you all to know the kind of lighthearted yet highly skilled GTD Connect coaching you have in store.

Alana.wright

Registered
Thanks to our GTD at Home webinar participants!

Nancy and I had a wonderful time talking with everyone this morning during our first GTD at Home: Focus on Parenting webinar. The questions were wonderful and the notes of appreciation were ... much appreciated!!

For those of you that were able to join live, we'd love to hear your feedback. How might some of the ideas be put into play in your home life? What ideas do you have to add?! Lets keep the conversation going!

Cheers,
Alana

Nancy.LoCascio

Registered
John Forrister;113119 said:
Nancy LoCascio just sent me a message to remind me that LoCascio rhymes with pistachio, in case I'm introducing her on the webinar. Most likely Nancy and Alana will introduce themselves. But I wanted you all to know the kind of lighthearted yet highly skilled GTD Connect coaching you have in store.

Just to keep the fun going: my maiden name is deGrazia which rhymes with pizza!! My last names have kept my rhyming and Italian skills sharp!

:)

It was a great webinar. Thank you all so much to those who had the chance to join us -- your interaction made it so fun!

Please keep those ideas and questions coming. If you have tools or tricks to share or suggestions for upcoming webinars focusing on life outside of work, please let us know. We love to hear from everyone!

Best,
Nancy

tabinfl

Registered
I enjoyed the webinar and gleaned a few great tips for my GTD-ing at home. The idea of using checklists for anything that's done repeatedly is brilliant. I use the standard checklists for travel and such, but having lists for even the simple tasks -- but ones that happen far more often -- like "things to put in the car before our Girl Scout meeting" or "kids ready to go to church" (and having the kids themselves follow it) hadn't occurred to me before.

Something that dawned on me today as I was reviewing my notes is that I have, perhaps, not been giving my home project & next actions lists the same quality of thought and consideration that I used to give my professional lists in my previous life. I mean, how complicated is it to keep the kids alive and cook dinner, compared to designing ecommerce systems? :???:

Much of what I have to do seems very simple and straightforward, so I haven't given much thought when coming up with next actions. While trying to figure out why I kept backing away from a set of phone calls, I realized that "make doctor appointment" really involves more than just a phone call, it requires first sorting out our childcare situation so that I'm confident the sitter won't cancel at the last minute once I've made the appointment. This just went from a single entry on my @phone list to a whole project just to get the sitter arranged!

I'm realizing that a lot of my turmoil may be because I've had it backwards -- my "work" projects used to be pretty straightforward and self-defining, if not necessarily easy to accomplish; my "home" projects are the ones that really require some deep thought just to define the work, even if the individual tasks are simpler to execute.

Barb

Registered
I hate missing a webinar!!

Sounds like this one was good, darn it. Well, I don't have kids but I bet I will still like it.

Looking forward to listening!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I heard things that could apply to any size family, or even roommates. As far as I'm concerned, GTD at Home is a big topic that could involve kids of any age, parenting, elder care, household finances, and more. I'm looking forward to more webinars from Alana, Nancy, and the other presenters.

PatinSC

Registered
Wish I could have attended!

Because I am finding retirement more of a challenge than I expected! I've been trying to adapt my own GTD system to focus more on home. Some stuff about home was always in there, but now, I really need my system more than ever, because it is the only thing that provides some structure for my life right now.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
PatinSC;113190 said:
Because I am finding retirement more of a challenge than I expected! I've been trying to adapt my own GTD system to focus more on home. Some stuff about home was always in there, but now, I really need my system more than ever, because it is the only thing that provides some structure for my life right now.

Yes! Thanks for bringing that up. That matches what we're hearing from many people. If they are still working, their system is running more smoothly for work than for home/personal. A couple of people on the webinar noted in the questions box that they were surprised how much less efficient their systems are for home than work. Many of us tend to hold a higher standard for work than personal. Speaking personally, I can say that doesn't work well for very long.

The people I know who are retired are so busy that they need a rock-solid system for managing all their commitments.

Barb

Registered
When?

OK, I'm trying not to get too excited but this one really looks like it was fantastic. It's going to be in the archives, right? Do you know when?

Hate to be pushy....

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Barb;113193 said:
OK, I'm trying not to get too excited but this one really looks like it was fantastic. It's going to be in the archives, right? Do you know when?

Hate to be pushy....

Today. Next couple of hours.

And not because you're being pushy. Because you're not being pushy. You're just being very un-apathetic.

Alana.wright

Registered
Another note from me!

John Forrister;113194 said:
Today. Next couple of hours.

And not because you're being pushy. Because you're not being pushy. You're just being very un-apathetic.

Barb - I love the enthusiasm! Hope you enjoy : )

John - here's notice that I will be stealing your line going forward ... "not pushy, just un-apathetic". Thanks to you both for a laugh on a Friday night while I'm hanging out in my hotel room!

I'm enjoying reading this thread - its great to hear that our thoughts may have spurred ideas for Connect members at various stages in life. It's so true that many of us are far more organized and deliberate in our working world because that world seems to demand it of us. And things do often seem simple on the surface at home. The opportunities though at home never stop either ... sometimes I think they fly in at a rate faster then work! - so the same GTD principles are so important in our personal lives. And done well, the mental freedom it brings is huge reward : )

Barb

Registered
I DID enjoy!

I was up at 5 a.m. this morning and listening was the first thing on my agenda! Thanks so much for doing this. Nancy and Alana were great with my morning coffee and, I'm guessing, I'd have fun having a glass of wine with them too!