'next actions' vs 'project-specific sometime-soon actions'

ArcCaster

Registered
Hi

Throughout the day, ideas for actions that contribute to specific projects come to mind. I will NOT get to them today, maybe not even this week. They are too specific and too immediate to park in a someday-maybe list, but, if I put them in my next action list, they just clutter it up.

I am using outlook tasks with categories for various contexts, as well as a category for all my projects. Question is, what is the best place to park 'project-specific someday-soon-next-actions'?

Thanks,
Rob

ihunter

Registered
In your project support material?

ArcCaster;79005 said:
Question is, what is the best place to park 'project-specific someday-soon-next-actions'?

I would put it in your project support material; if that's a Task in Outlook, make a note in the free form text area. The point is, whenever you do a review of your project and looks for next actions, you should see this reminder, for when you eventually need it, but it shouldn't clutter your lists, as you said.

bishblaize

Registered
ihunter;79006 said:
I would put it in your project support material..

Agreed. This was the reason I like using onenote for my gtd, i have tonnes of these little bits of info that I need for a project - the odd reference number, the name of someone i spkoe to on a call centre, the time of that call, the "ooh i better remember that when I come to write the report", ad-hoc lists of stuff as I work through an idea, all that kind of junk.

fassold

Registered
@Projects in Outlook

Outlook Tasks makes it easy. Gather your projects under an "@Projects" category. Lots of empty space in the note section of each task. Just dump your ideas, actions, etc. there. I do formal project planning in MindManager; but having a place to grab and drop on the fly has done me a world of good. Think of it as an Inbox for each project.

Jim

P

prouddad

Using OneNote To Maximize Effectiveness with GTD

Bishblaize, when you use OneNote for GTD, does it replace any part of your GTD system? I recently began using it and want to get the most out of it.

Do you have different notebooks for each context or simply different tabs for each context? Please tell me more about how you're using OneNote and finding it helpful to you.

Thanks!

Oogiem

Registered
ArcCaster;79005 said:
Question is, what is the best place to park 'project-specific someday-soon-next-actions'?

If your GTD list manager doesn't support putting those in as tasks for the project but hiding them then they go into Project support.

bishblaize

Registered
prouddad;79182 said:
Bishblaize, when you use OneNote for GTD, does it replace any part of your GTD system? I recently began using it and want to get the most out of it.

Do you have different notebooks for each context or simply different tabs for each context? Please tell me more about how you're using OneNote and finding it helpful to you.

Thanks!

Hi

there's a quick outline I did on this page here.

i wont repeat it all, but essentially I use OneNote to keep my Next Actions, Projects & Project support materials, SDMB, 20/30ft stuff, some reference materials, and a stack of lists. i use outlook for calendar and email.

P

productivity

fassold;79024 said:
Outlook Tasks makes it easy. Gather your projects under an "@Projects" category. Lots of empty space in the note section of each task. Just dump your ideas, actions, etc. there. I do formal project planning in MindManager; but having a place to grab and drop on the fly has done me a world of good. Think of it as an Inbox for each project.

Jim

I would do this too if I'd have the same dilemma. I hope your problems are already answered ArcCaster!