NextAction question?

Philip

Registered
I read through the book and the workbook and implemented all of the steps but have one question/challenge:

In my weekly review I go through the projects and decide at least one NextAction for each project. During the week I complete the NextActions but than I have to wait until the next weekly review when I check all of my projects to remember to set NextActions for each project. Most of my projects need faster implementation but I cannot check all the project every day, or do I have to do that? Often I cannot set more than one NextAction since they can only happen in sequence.

Any help?

Thanks a lot.

Philip

Oogiem

Registered
In my weekly review I go through the projects and decide at least one NextAction for each project. During the week I complete the NextActions but than I have to wait until the next weekly review when I check all of my projects to remember to set NextActions for each project. Most of my projects need faster implementation but I cannot check all the project every day, or do I have to do that? Often I cannot set more than one NextAction since they can only happen in sequence.

Any help?

This is a common misconception.

1. You don't have to limit yourself to just one next action. If you system supports it and you have things planned feel free to put more than one action in sequence into your system.

2. When you finish a next action you can keep going, on the same project or in the same context. But make a note fo the next action, like a bookmark when you stop a project. So you can take off later from that point.

3. Weekly review is to catch those projects that you missed during the week and ensure that they are not stalled. Generally if you are doing your regular 1-1.5 hour daily processing you'll catch things and your regular looking at each of your context lists will enforce the idea of adding actions as you go if necessary.

TesTeq

Registered
...but than I have to wait until the next weekly review when I check all of my projects to remember to set NextActions for each project.
Since it's a common misconception maybe it should be addressed by @DavidAllen. I hope he'll write a short essay titled "What to do AFTER the Next Action". In the GTD book we've got instructions what to do before the Next Action - how to decide which Next Action to choose. But I can't find any tips what to do when the Next Action is done. @John Forrister @Oogiem

GTDengineer

Registered
I think there are only three options:

If the project is not finished, and you have more time available to work, just keep working. There is no requirement to write down every next action in a work period. (However, if you need a guide how to perform the project, you should keep a checklist of every project task in your project reference material.)

If the project is not finished, and your work time has ended (maybe there is something on your calendar), then immediately write down the next action for the project, so you can restart exactly where you left off at another time.

If the project is finished, find another next action in your list!

David Parker

GTD Connect
but than I have to wait until the next weekly review when I check all of my projects to remember to set NextActions for each project
You don’t have to wait until your Weekly Review to decide on Next Actions. At your Daily Review (Workbook Move 10), in Step 3 of Move 10 you check your lists, knocking off ones you’ve done and adding new ones.

Last edited:

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
I read through the book and the workbook and implemented all of the steps but have one question/challenge:

Any help?

Thanks a lot.

Philip

Hi Philip,

Great question. Common issue people run into. The simplest answer is this: Capture the next action as you complete. Once you stop progress on the particular project, "bookmark" where you are by capturing. That goes into your inbox. When you clear out your inbox, you'll turn that capture into a next action, which you can then do.

The 5 steps are a continuous cycle day-to-day. As @Oogiem put so nicely, the Weekly Review is to catch things you missed thru the week.