Not sure how to handle this scenario…

JGrossiSF

Registered
What is the collective wisdom for handling scenarios such as this:

I have a project that I’ve identified a next-action for. As I began to do the next action, I realized that the NA itself had more than one step, relegating the NA itself to the level of “project” by GTD standards. So now on my Projects list, I have the original project and the NA with more the one step.

The issue is, the two are related/overlap; do they both belong on my Projects list, or should they somehow be consolidated? Thanks in advance!

Unless the faux next action is substantial, I would not create a new project for it. The existing project already represents the change you want to see in the world.

What I would do with the next action depends on whether I was working at executing the next action at the time.

If I was NOT already doing it, I would cross it out and write down the new next action.

If I WAS already doing it, that's fine. Next Actions are like bookmarks for projects. When I decided to switch to something unrelated, I would cross it off and write the new next action.

In either case, I might write down any thinking I did about potential future actions in my project support.

Got it, thanks... maybe it would help if I gave a real-life example. I'm a Notary Public and needed to buy a new stamp. That takes multiple steps, so I created a project called "Buy new Notary stamp." I didn't have my old stamp with me (I need it for the license number), so the next action was "Get old stamp from office" and it was on my @Home list.

So I got the old stamp, went online to order the stamp, put all the info in and placed the order. Well, then I got an email saying that I needed to upload my Commission Certificate, which I don't have, which is also a multi-step process. The next action was to order the new certificate, which I did (and is now in @Waiting for... ).

So what I'm trying to figure out is, do I have two projects, one that says, "Buy new Notary Stamp" (because that's not complete) and one that says, "Upload my Commission Certificate," or do I just have the original "Buy new Notary Stamp" and just hold in my memory that I need to upload the Commission Certificate when it arrives?

You don’t mention if you are using paper lists or digital lists. If digital, here’s a quick hack:

Project: Rebuild patio
Old next action: Find company to design patio
New next action: Find company to design patio >
Note field of new next action:
- R&D firms to design patio
- brainstorm desired patio features
- brainstorm budget
…..

Look at the possible true next actions in the note field. Pick one, copy it, and paste it after the “>”. You now have a little subproject. Repeat the above steps until done.

This is an adaptation of the pig-pog method for GTD, which you can find by searching the web.

Hi,

In GTD, if a next action (NA) requires multiple steps, elevate it to a project. Consolidate it with the original project if they are closely related, or treat it as a sub-project if distinct. This keeps your Projects list clear and prevents overlap.

Jack ;)

Got it, thanks... maybe it would help if I gave a real-life example. I'm a Notary Public and needed to buy a new stamp. That takes multiple steps, so I created a project called "Buy new Notary stamp." I didn't have my old stamp with me (I need it for the license number), so the next action was "Get old stamp from office" and it was on my @Home list.

So I got the old stamp, went online to order the stamp, put all the info in and placed the order. Well, then I got an email saying that I needed to upload my Commission Certificate, which I don't have, which is also a multi-step process. The next action was to order the new certificate, which I did (and is now in @Waiting for... ).

So what I'm trying to figure out is, do I have two projects, one that says, "Buy new Notary Stamp" (because that's not complete) and one that says, "Upload my Commission Certificate," or do I just have the original "Buy new Notary Stamp" and just hold in my memory that I need to upload the Commission Certificate when it arrives?
I think, for this one, (for me anyway) the certificate is like a subproject of buying a new stamp. You wouldn't be doing it otherwise and it's a necessary step on the stamp project's critical path. So you've done the first NA on the cert, it's now in WF. I'd put the "upload cert" into NAs with a note that you're waiting for it.

I think, for this one, (for me anyway) the certificate is like a subproject of buying a new stamp. You wouldn't be doing it otherwise and it's a necessary step on the stamp project's critical path. So you've done the first NA on the cert, it's now in WF. I'd put the "upload cert" into NAs with a note that you're waiting for it.
This makes the most (least complicated) sense to me... thank you!

I go as minimal as I can get away with.

Project: I have a new Notary stamp.
Waiting For: Commission Certificate to arrive. 2024-07-23

Any info I need to remember goes in project support, which can be a notes field. However, I think that the certificate itself would be enough of a reminder for me, as would seeing the project in a weekly review.

Sometimes I do this hack, but I do consider it a hack:

Waiting For: Commission Certificate to arrive (so I can upload it). 2024-07-23