OmniFocus 3 coming

RS356

Registered
Omnifocus may be worth revisiting, particularly with the new web interface. I'm stuck in a Windows environment at work, which has always been a barrier to trying Omnifocus. Thanks!

TesTeq

Registered
Multiple tags per item replace single contexts.
@Home -> #Home but you can also have #10min, #1hr, et cetera if you desire.
We'll see what the implementation is soon enough.
IMHO one long list of items with the CTMUI (Clever Tag Management User Interface - a term invented a while ago by TesTeq) is all that is needed for GTD.
By a CTMUI I mean:
- easy tag assignement;
- robust duplicate tags prevention system;
- tag categorization (time, place, person, energy, type of the item);
- easy filtering (saved filters management).

mcogilvie

Registered
IMHO one long list of items with the CTMUI (Clever Tag Management User Interface - a term invented a while ago by TesTeq) is all that is needed for GTD.
By a CTMUI I mean:
- easy tag assignement;
- robust duplicate tags prevention system;
- tag categorization (time, place, person, energy, type of the item);
- easy filtering (saved filters management).
In theory, sure. In practice, maybe not.
I find that long tag lists are a pain to navigate.
I find I do like drag and drop for putting things into categories.

TesTeq

Registered
In theory, sure. In practice, maybe not.
I find that long tag lists are a pain to navigate.
I find I do like drag and drop for putting things into categories.
Didn't I mention the CTMUI - Clever Tag Management User Interface?
Long tag lists are not the CTMUI.
But of course tag management and filtering is perfect only for list/outline oriented minds like mine. Any graphic interaction with objects makes me nervous that I drop something in the wrong place and it will be lost forever. On the other hand if everything is in one list (with tags) I can always find it!

Last edited:

Jim

GTD Ninja
I use tags in TaskPaper, and they work well for me. They are flexible and versatile and you get to choose when and how to use them.

tjhoo

Registered
Can anyone speak to how useful Omnifocus is without a Mac? For work I'm required to have PC, not Mac.I do however use an iPhone and an iPad. I'm considering giving Omnifocus a try.

I have been using Evernote for my peripheral brain and task management (Windows desktop and iOS)....and Outlook for calendar/email for many years.

In Evernote, I use a robust system of tags to help with task management. For instance labeling for context (eg @home, @work, @spouse, @phone)..also for when something needs to be done (Now/This week/ASAP/Soon/Someday/Maybe/Waiting For)...also for priority (1/2/3/4/5). Have only a few folders: personal/work/temp/Inbox. I go back and forth between using tags for time due (eg this week) vs assigning a reminder time..both have merits. I have "saved searches" for instance #now AND @office tells me what I'm supposed to do now, in the office.

One thing my system is missing is location based reminders. For instance I'd like to be reminded when I'm at the supermarket to buy something specific.

Also, Evernote is not the best project manager. However, I have been very happy over the years with the robust desktop version. Have never liked the watered down web version. iOS has improved over the years, but it usually feels more complete to be at my desktop or laptop as there are more available views and tools than in iOS.

Looking forward to feedback.

TJ

mcogilvie

Registered
People do use Omnifocus on iOS alone, particularly on an iPad. I wouldn’t consider using it on an iPhone alone. Given the web browser interface and new tagging system coming in OF 3, you might want to wait for it before giving OF a try.

RS356

Registered
People do use Omnifocus on iOS alone, particularly on an iPad. I wouldn’t consider using it on an iPhone alone. Given the web browser interface and new tagging system coming in OF 3, you might want to wait for it before giving OF a try.

I have used Omnifocus on iOS using both iPad and iPhone. It can be an effective system. I wouldn't recommend using iPhone alone, and a keyboard on the iPad is very useful.

Padre C

Registered
Not sure how I feel about tags. I have never managed to use them well. It is a little to sequential for my way of thinking.

tjhoo

Registered
Would anyone make a recommendation for a calendar to use in conjunction with Omnifocus? I have been using MS Outlook x 20 years..Some sync issues sometimes. Could consider switching to Apple (icloud) or Google.

mcogilvie

Registered
Would anyone make a recommendation for a calendar to use in conjunction with Omnifocus? I have been using MS Outlook x 20 years..Some sync issues sometimes. Could consider switching to Apple (icloud) or Google.

Why limit yourself? With Apple Calendar, you can use iCloud, Microsoft Exchange and Google Calendars. I use iCloud for my own events, but I have no trouble with the other two formats. And there are decent 3rd party apps like Fantastical.

Leo_Jager

Registered
Not sure how I feel about tags. I have never managed to use them well. It is a little to sequential for my way of thinking.

I think I will use the the same contexts I use now in OF as tags. So I keep the contexts as basis. Too many tags will give me a chaotic feeling. Together with fellow users in my company we are cery curious after OF3! Also the web based version will be a great plus.