• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

OmniFocus Evernote Linking: Brilliant Flash of the Obvious

Greetings fellow GTD'ers...

I may have just had a brilliant flash of the obvious, but thought I'd share this quick tip none the less. I'm a HUGE OmniFocus fan for managing my lists. However, Evernote is where I keep all my reference materials and working files for projects. I found OmniFocus too cumbersome for storing reference documents (attaching files slows Omni down, and linking documents to a local folder doesn't work for me as I use several Macs so I like to have things stored in the cloud).

So...after several years of using OmniFocus and Evernote...I just discovered you can drag Evernote entries into your OmniFocus tasks to create Hyperlinks. So if you're on a particular task in OmniFocus, you can have a link (or links) within that task that will pull up any note in Evernote. Even if that note changed locations within Evernote (say you switched notebooks). Slick!

But wait, there's more:)

The hyperlinking between OmniFocus and Evernote also works on your iPhone.

Sorry if this tip is too obvious. As a long time user of both applications, I'm a little embarrassed I just discovered this now.

Cheers,
Rob DeMars
 
robfrommars;94659 said:
Greetings fellow GTD'ers...

I may have just had a brilliant flash of the obvious, but thought I'd share this quick tip none the less. I'm a HUGE OmniFocus fan for managing my lists. However, Evernote is where I keep all my reference materials and working files for projects. I found OmniFocus too cumbersome for storing reference documents (attaching files slows Omni down, and linking documents to a local folder doesn't work for me as I use several Macs so I like to have things stored in the cloud).

So...after several years of using OmniFocus and Evernote...I just discovered you can drag Evernote entries into your OmniFocus tasks to create Hyperlinks. So if you're on a particular task in OmniFocus, you can have a link (or links) within that task that will pull up any note in Evernote. Even if that note changed locations within Evernote (say you switched notebooks). Slick!

But wait, there's more:)

The hyperlinking between OmniFocus and Evernote also works on your iPhone.

Sorry if this tip is too obvious. As a long time user of both applications, I'm a little embarrassed I just discovered this now.

Cheers,
Rob DeMars

Thanks! That's a great tip that saved me some research time.
 
Omnifocus and linking, generally

Did you all know you can right-click almost anything in Omnifocus and copy as a link? When you paste it elsewhere, it is a hot-link.

One way I use this is to create links to specific items in Omnifocus in my mindmaps.
 
chipjoyce;94868 said:
Did you all know you can right-click almost anything in Omnifocus and copy as a link? When you paste it elsewhere, it is a hot-link.

One way I use this is to create links to specific items in Omnifocus in my mindmaps.

Another good one! Thanks!
 
Top