On Time On Target Management by Ken Blanchard

jerendeb

Registered
Interesting concept from the CD I am listening to; On Time On Target Management by Ken Blanchard.

This may interest some of you past Quadrant People!

REGARDING NEXT ACTIONS

YES = WANT TO DO & HAVE TO DO
YES = HAVE TO DO BUT DON'T WANT TO DO
MAYBE = WANT TO DO BUT DON'T HAVE TO DO
NO = DON'T WANT TO DO & DON'T HAVE TO DO

Just laying this one out here for discussion.

Busydave

Registered
Hi Jere

I’m reading it at the moment.

My reaction so far to the triage checklist is: why do we have “Don't want to do & don't have to do” items in the first place?

I think it ties in with the concept of gate-keeping. In the book it gives the example of trying to read all of the trade magazines relevant to your job. It was only after doing this for a long time that the manager and his mentor both realized that it was a waste of their time. Wouldn’t it be great if we could have that foresight at the outset!

I think that if we could have absolute clarity as to what the “Have to” items in our jobs are, we would find it very easy and comfortable to drop the “Don't want to do & don't have to do” items without a second thought.

(In a previous job, our boss told us that he shouldn’t have to tell us what the most important things were – how’s that for clarity of communication from the top!)

Dave

Re: On Time On Target Management by Ken Blanchard

Which "YES" would be the louder "YES", the "YES" for "WANT TO DO & HAVE TO DO" or the "YES" for "HAVE TO DO BUT DON'T WANT TO DO"?

I presume it would be the first one.

Rainer