One Notebook for all

ArtVandelay

Registered
Does anyone use ONE notebook for O3's and general day to day meetings? If so, are you able to go back and find what you're looking for easily?

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Does anyone use ONE notebook for O3's and general day to day meetings? If so, are you able to go back and find what you're looking for easily?
Not familiar with the term "O3", but I always take meeting notes on a notebook with tear-off pages. After the meeting, the notes are processed and the pages are recycled. Actionable items go into my lists or calendar, waiting for's into the appropriate list, and reference goes into my reference system.

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
ArtVandelay,

A GTD consideration as you might see GTD fit:

One on the best practices, as @René Lie's GTD practice implicitly demonstrates, is to 'think' of something only once unless a GTDer wants to 'think' of something particular more than once without any cognitive/intrinsic . . . compulsion/uncertainty to do so.
Hoping you find that GTD clear/worthy

Meanwhile, in humble GTD opinion, if one wishes to keep, lets say a 'chronicle notebook of meetings' for any reason one sees fit and if one wants to 'GTDize' their 'chronicle notebook of meetings' then they would need to GTD Clarify / Process their 'chronicle notebook of meetings' at least during their Weekly Review session and clearly extrinsically inform themselves that all pages to date in the 'chronicle notebook of meetings' have been GTD Clarified / Processed without any second thoughts or doubts. Then, one would only return to the Clarified / Processed in the 'chronicle notebook of meetings' only if it came to mind that for some unforeseen reason due to incomplete Clarifying / Processing during the 'Weekly Review' which would then appear to have been self-deceptively 'done'

Again, hoping you find that GTD clear/worthy

Calm GTD completion through peaceful GTD preparation to you

Ps. On this end, the immediate concern when "Note taking" is accuracy vs. thinking/understanding which can be singularly and more efficiently done during Clarifying / Processing

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

Registered
Ah, I see... Well - for me, same goes for these kinds of meetings (process the meeting notes and toss them).
Yeah, that's what I'm doing (have done now)....I have a padfolio. One meeting, one page. Rip each page out and put on desk at the end of each meeting. Daily-ish, I go through them and add anything actionable to my Google Tasks, etc.

I just feel like it's kinda wasteful compared to a normal - notebook that opens left to right so I wanted to see what others do.

gtdstudente

Registered
Yeah, that's what I'm doing (have done now)....I have a padfolio. One meeting, one page. Rip each page out and put on desk at the end of each meeting. Daily-ish, I go through them and add anything actionable to my Google Tasks, etc.

I just feel like it's kinda wasteful compared to a normal - notebook that opens left to right so I wanted to see what others do.
ArtVandelay,

Sorry for the GTD 'overkill'

My GTD bad

Last edited:

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer

Sometimes I use my Rocketbook - as it's a 'whiteboard' book that you scan into your digital medium of choice, at least it's environmental friendly!

Gardener

Registered

I've come to accept that I'm never going to use the back side of my notebook pages, and I'm never going to use a page for more than one topic. One topic per page, the content always visible because it's always on only one side, removes a lot of mental/mechanical clutter.

I have started using smaller and smaller and smaller notebooks, though. Multiple pages for one topic don't bother me the way that one page for multiple topics does, so I went down an A5 and when I've used that up I'll go down another size. (B6? A6? Whatever the next side-spiral grid-ruled Rhodia size down is.)

sholden

Registered
For 1on1s (like recommended by Manager-Tools.com), when I had directs, I used a Red Moleskine notebook for taking notes and then I would process those notes by reviewing them and using a highlighter to mark them processed/reviewed. I'd also mark something with a different color highlighter if it was delegated. I starred items in the moment if I had a Next Action. Manager Tools has a 1on1 printout that I used for each person when I first started 1on1s, but at the time, I was traveling a lot and didn't want to take a bunch of individual binders with me.

ArtVandelay

Registered
For 1on1s (like recommended by Manager-Tools.com), when I had directs, I used a Red Moleskine notebook for taking notes and then I would process those notes by reviewing them and using a highlighter to mark them processed/reviewed. I'd also mark something with a different color highlighter if it was delegated. I starred items in the moment if I had a Next Action. Manager Tools has a 1on1 printout that I used for each person when I first started 1on1s, but at the time, I was traveling a lot and didn't want to take a bunch of individual binders with me.
Okay, and then did you use that red Moleskine for all your other non-1 on 1 meetings? Or did you use a separate notebook or padfolio, etc.?

sholden

Registered
I usually capture everything else on 3x5 cards and process them at the end of the day as part of my shutdown ritual. For meetings where having a laptop is ok/doable, I take notes directly into OneNote.