Opinions on Best PDA

DoubleDippin

Registered
I'm looking at getting a new PDA. Had a Palm Zire 72 previously but it was stolen. Just looking for some input from others before I go buy another one.

Thanks,
Mike

alsa

Registered
Get a refurbished Sony Clie TH55 -- best for the price

If not, then Tungsten5.

Don't get a LifeDrive.

T

The Cactus Leaguer

I just switched from a Sony Clie to a Treo 650. I absolutely love the Treo, and it's worth every penny just from the standpoint of not having to carry around a separate cell phone anymore. Just make sure you are OK with using the small keys before you plunk down the $$$ (it doesn't bother me personally, I prefer that over the graffiti, but I have known others to hate the Treo's keyboard).

L

luisr

Treo - Best gadget I've had in a long time.

I can't speak for other brands but have used a number of different Palm models, the current one being a Treo 600. It's simply the best piece of technology I've had. The small keyboard takes getting used to, but is manageable.

There are a few reasons I REALLY like it.
1. I've linked my MSN account to my Cell phone, and the Palm is smart enough to 'parse' a phone number sent in a SMS message. So when my assistant sends me an MSN with "call Bob at 1-555-555-1212" the phone number is underlined and can be dialed just by tapping the #. I also respond to MSN messages from the Treo when travelling

2. I retrieve (and respond) to email from my Treo when travelling.

3. I use Act! and Outlook at the office, so both are linked to the Treo, which acts as my "one view" into everything. I have our entire Act! database (contact info only) downloaded onto an SD card, so I can look up client phone #'s etc, when travelling.

Prior to the Treo, I carried a cell phone, pager and PalmPilot. Having ONE device is a great step towards the simplification I wanted for a long time.

Luis

D

dharley

Just My opinion

I have owned several Palms over the years, including a Clie. So far the best one is the one I have now - Tungsten T3. It hase more memory that the T5, an expandable screen that can view documents landscape (especially nice for Word and Excel Documents-to-Go), a voice recorder, an MP3 player and BlueTooth. I bought it from PalmOne.com with rebates and such was about $300 but I'm sure you could do better now.

alsa

Registered
dharley said:
I have owned several Palms over the years, including a Clie. So far the best one is the one I have now - Tungsten T3. It hase more memory that the T5, an expandable screen that can view documents landscape (especially nice for Word and Excel Documents-to-Go), a voice recorder, an MP3 player and BlueTooth. I bought it from PalmOne.com with rebates and such was about $300 but I'm sure you could do better now.

The Clie TH55 can do all that -- only instead of Bluetooth you get Wi Fi (which is -- IMHO -- more useful). Plus, the TH55 is cheaper now since it's discontinued.

B

Bob Burtt

Pocket PC

Get a Pocket PC...hands down the best, in my opinion. I was a LONG time Palm user until a few years ago when I switched to Pocket PC...I will NEVER go back.

Here are my reasons:

1) They run of a Windows platform and seamlessly integrate with Outlook (via ActiveSync-free download)

2) They sync "live" which means you never haved to hit a "hotsync" button everytime you want to update your stuff. So, on a Pocket PC, when you make a change in Outlook, it automatically updates your Pocket PC. So, you can grab it and run...no waiting.

3) Processing power is up to 624 MHz.

Those are my top reasons. I have an HP iPAQ 4150...with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I love it and it's only 4.3 oz. (Light weight is a very big thing for me)

I would recommend an HP iPAQ or the new Dell's (the X50 or X50v).

The Palm also has limited PIM software in comparison to PPC's. The 2 best PIM's for PPC's are Pocket Informant and Agenda Fusion. Both have built in project management. I use a software called ListPro to track my action lists.

Good luck in your decision.

If you have any other questions about it, let me know.

Rob

severance1970

Registered
The Treo 650 offers a good balance between multimedia features and a small form factor, especially if you're used to carrying a standalone PDA. Unfortunately, even through it's relatively small, I needed something that I could truly put in my front pants pocket, so I switched to a Samsung i500. Combined with a jotter wallet, it's been the most convenient GTD system to date. Unlike larger PDAs or paper planners, I don't have to constantly hold them in my hand or have them hanging off my belt, which has made me far less self-conscious about using my tools. I've lost a number of capabilities in the process (no MP3, no camera, no hi res, no BT) but since my defining criterion was facilitating GTD rather than merely being a power user, it was an acceptable tradeoff.

mikeobrien58

Registered
Sorry your Zire 72 got stolen -- how exasperating!! Hope your data was safely backed up.

I'm using the Zire 31 -- my first PDA, so I went cheap in case it didn't work for me -- which I love except for one thing: I really, really wish I'd gotten a model with a voice recorder. I'm an urban commuter -- lots of time on the subway or walking -- and many times while commuting, I wish I had a one-handed way to capture a thought or idea. Very hard to use the Palm while walking (can't see the screen in daylight, plus you have to watch where you're going!) or on the subway (if you don't get a seat). If I had the voice recorder I could just make a voice note to myself, then type it up when I reach my desk. Voice recorder as "in box"!

I also like the PDA/cellphone concept -- it seems really dumb to have all my up-to-date contact info in my Zire, then have to re-enter numbers by hand into the cellphone.

That said: everyone I know with a Blackberry is addicted to it.

Good luck! Let us know what you choose!

Barry

Registered
After my first Palm finally broke, I chose the Palm Tungsten E. It had all the features I wanted, particularly a relatively large, clear color screen and a good amount of memory, without a lot of extra features that drive the price up. It was relatively cheap and a good value. It also has a professional look. I would consider this to be the frugle choice because it is about the cheapest PDA that doesn't really cripple you with skimpy memory and lousy screen resolution. I think I paid $200 and they are probably less now.

The one thing I wish it had was a voice recorder, but I am not really sure I would use it much. I have been very happy with it overall.

Combining a phone into the package seems like a great idea, but it depends on your needs and budget.

Esquire

Registered
Another Treo 650 convert here. I switched from a Clie NX-70v.

I preferred the Clie keyboard to graffiti, and although the Treo's keyboard is abit smaller I haven't had a problem with that.

I LOVE not having to carry a PDA and a phone, and I enjoy the e-mail accessibility as well.

I would caution you on the recommendations in favor of the Sony PDA, as they've been discontinued here in the United States. When you ask about the "best" choice, if continued tech support, replacement parts, etc. down the road should are a consideration, I think that weighs against Sony (not only because a particular MODEL PDA is discontinued, but b/c the company is getting out of the PDA BUSINESS, at least Sony-USA).

Enjoy your new toy, whichever one it is!

K

KevinR

I'm a bit of a gadget freak, so take this for what it's worth. Among the newer models out there, I have a Dell X50V, a PalmOne T5 and PlamOne Lifedrive. While they are all fine machines, I keep returning to my Sony Clie NX70V (now discontinued as are all Sony models in the US). It's a machine that was ahead of it's time and can still be picked up at a cheap price on Ebay and other sites.

P

PDAJunky

I used to have a T3, then bought a T5 when I gave the T3 to my son in law. I now use an IPAQ 4150 from HP. The Pocket PC works great and with the implementation of Pocket Informant, I now have a perfect device for managing my Tasks/Notes/Contacts in the Categories view.

J

Jake

I'm looking to upgrade from the Palm M500 I've been using for the past four years. I've been looking at the LifeDrive, but haven't seen many reviews. Anyone have experience with this? I love the hard drive size, but am nervous about the battery life. I'm currently setting up a spreadsheet to compare the features of the LifeDrive and other devices, so I'd also appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks!

BrianK

Registered
Jake said:
I'm looking to upgrade from the Palm M500 I've been using for the past four years. I've been looking at the LifeDrive, but haven't seen many reviews. Anyone have experience with this? I love the hard drive size, but am nervous about the battery life. I'm currently setting up a spreadsheet to compare the features of the LifeDrive and other devices, so I'd also appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks!

Check out www.1src.com. There's a forum section for lifedrives. You'll find almost all of the gripes and praise that there are on the unit.

S

Steve Riker

Treo 650 for all the reasons everyone else has stated - my big reason is since it combined my PDA and phone, it is one less separate thing to carry around.

Steve

mramm

Registered
I too, am thinking of buying another PDA. Currently, I have a Samsung i700 through my work (i am the IT Support guy). I don't feel that I can customize it to the extent that I want because of the support nature of the device in my possession.

So I want to buy my own. There are 4 possibilities:

iPAQ hx2410, iPAQ hx2750, iPAQ rx3715, Axim X50v

Does anyone have any thoughts on these? I will be using Pocket Informant on it. Not sure of any other software pieces that will be added to it for my GTD implementation.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Ramm

S

SpringerSM

Jake said:

Thanks!

I'm currently starting to use the GTD system using my Tungsten E. I have just recently completed reading the GTD book and so am in the implementation/experimentation stage. Here is a good web site for all PDA's on the market. I'm currently starting to use the GTD system using my Tungsten E. I have just recently completed reading the GTD book and so am in the implementation/experimentation stage. Here is a good web site for all PDA's on the market: http://www.brighthand.com/ If you search for LifeDrive I think you will find a few reviews. In general people like the LifeDrive. The battery life has not been an issue from what I've read. Good Luck.

B

Bebert

It all depends on what you really need.

Some of my friends that went from small, cheap Sharp 1024K organizers (used mainly for the phonebook features) to expensive iPAQs told me that they would go back to their Sharp's in a heartbeat if they had to pay for the iPAQs themselves (our company provides iPAQs to some of our employees).

Find out what your needs really are and then, find a good deal on the devices. Who knows? Maybe you don't need an iPAQ. Maybe you need two devices, or even more.

I'm using a paper implementation of GTD in a 3-ring binder along with my Creative Muvo Micro 1GB MP3 player on which I carry important files (besides music). Works great for me! :)

Bebert