• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Outliner vs Wiki

  • Thread starter Thread starter sagipolley
  • Start date Start date
S

sagipolley

Guest
I'm just getting into GTD, and I know I need some software for my implementation.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions as to whether an outliner (e.g., Shadow Plan) or a wiki of some sort (e.g., Note Studio, Instiki) is better suited for the task.

As I see it, a wiki lets you define your own structure, with the ability to link aything to anything, while an outliner gives you less choice structure-wise, which might, in practice, be simpler and quicker to use.

Also, if a wiki is on a server, you can access it from anywhere, without having to sync anything. (I work on two PCs, one at the office and one at home, and I don't have a PDA.)

What do you use, and why?

TIA,

Martin
 
Re: Outliner vs Wiki

sagipolley said:
What do you use, and why?

Hi Martin,
i am using Notestudio with a customized version of Volkers example GTD Templates.
http://www.dogmelon.com.au/ns/Example Note Books.shtml
I use it because i have all the flexibility i need and it is very easy to handle. The staff of dogmelon is quite responsive to the wishes of there users. So we got the functions which the GTD-Users like.
Before i tried Bonsai but i never liked it. Here i had to adapt my style of work to Bonsai.

Yours
Alexander
 
I started using Note Studio, but as I work on two machines, one at home and one at the office, I would have had to import all books when starting work at the office after working at home, then export them at the end of the day before working at home the next day (and the same at home).

So in the end I decided to go with Instiki.

It is very easy to install, it looks nice, I can access it from anywhere, and you can enable password protection.
 
Top