Outlook Add-In + BlackBerry + NextAction

J

joonsookim

Hi,

I've searched these forum but haven't found (or perhaps understood) a complete answer to the question of how to use Outlook and a BlackBerry in concert.

I just finished the GTD book and am preparing to start implementing portions of the overall system.

At work, I currently use Outlook 2003, which synchronizes with my BlackBerry Pearl. I've read about the Outlook Add-In and have installed the trial version. The prevailing view on these boards is that NextAction! is the preferred application for the BlackBerry. If I install both, will they operate together? Or is one a substitute for the other?

I'd appreciate any guidance -- thank you in advance!

roakleyca

Registered
Welcome to my digital system. And I think it works great.

My only advice is for you to do all your "processing" while at your computer using Outlook. Blackberry's are really only good for retrieval while "doing".

The Outlook Add-in is sweet. My email inbox is consistently at ZERO - and I just work through my tasks via appropriate contexts.

NextAction! will allow you to easily flip through the context and knock of to-do's. You won't be able to use the cryptic "projects" feature of NextAction! if you are using the Outlook Add-in. But don't worry --- you dont' need to access your "project" list while mobile with your blackberry. But if you do, all your projects simply come up as a context as is set up by the outlook add-in.

Now all you need to add to your system is a notebook and pen for your backpocket!

Best of luck!

funkym

Registered
I am a huge fan of NextAction! and the BlackBerry. It works well with my iCal on my MacBook which is technically not the best solution for mac but still ok - for me ... :)

sdhill

Registered
joonsookim;54844 said:
Hi,

I've searched these forum but haven't found (or perhaps understood) a complete answer to the question of how to use Outlook and a BlackBerry in concert.

I just finished the GTD book and am preparing to start implementing portions of the overall system.

At work, I currently use Outlook 2003, which synchronizes with my BlackBerry Pearl. I've read about the Outlook Add-In and have installed the trial version. The prevailing view on these boards is that NextAction! is the preferred application for the BlackBerry. If I install both, will they operate together? Or is one a substitute for the other?

I'd appreciate any guidance -- thank you in advance!

I use Outlook 2003 and NextAction! on my BB. I don't use the Outlook Add-In but understand that some of its functionality is not replicated in NextAction!. I guess because I don't use it this hasn't been a problem for me :)....

Good luck.

Simon

Zenistar

Registered
I use Outlook 2003 along with the GTD Addon on both my desktop and my laptop, I also use a Blackberry to keep on top of things while out and about.

Basically I do all of my processing on the laptop or desktop using the GTD addon, the Blackberry lets me filter out junk mail from my inbox and perform quick replies, it also lets me use tasks and it's filter function to drill down on my task list at the GTD action level. Perhaps the most common use I have for the BB is to filter the task list to @calls and then close them off one by one or to review information from my task list or notes while within a meeting.

If i do process my inbox on the BB, anything that can not be dealt with directly goes into a folder for immediate processing into a next action when I am back in front of a machine with Outlook installed.