Outlook backup

B

Barb in Texas

Ok, I'm not that technical! I know most people use Palms or some other PDA, and I've TRIED. But I hate them. I would much rather just use Outlook on my laptop and I've only recently FINALLY organized it according to GTD. My question is: is there any way to backup Outlook to my external hard drive? I tried downloading a utility to do it I found on the Microsoft website, but can't seem to get it to install. Any ideas?

F

Frank Buck

All of your Oultlook stuff is stored in a ".pst" folder. It's probably named "Outlook.pst" In Outlook 2003, go to File--Backup and click Options. You can control when and where Outlook will backup the data. Once you set it up, when you close Outlook on the day it's supposed to backup, it will ask for permission to make a backup. It takes less than a minute for mine to backup.

If you have an earlier version of Outlook, as I remember you would right-click on "Outlook Today." There is a tab--I think it may be labeled "Advanced." Anyway, that will tell you the location on your pst file. Then you can navigate to it and copy it. Someone maybe can weigh in on this if I am wrong about the location.

Frank

B

Barb in Texas

well...

Thanks for taking the time to try to help. I have Outlook 2003, but when I click on "file" as you suggested, no backup option comes up. The other idea didn't work either. Maybe you have to have Exchange for that option??

M

mochant

Here's the perfect Outlook backup tool

Barb:

You need to downoad Outsource-XP, a backup utility for Outlook. It's free (there is a paid version that adds a few extra features), foolproof, and will set your mind at ease. Here's an introduction from the download page:

Unfortunately neither Outlook 2002 nor Outlook 2003 include any option to save and restore all your important personal files, settings, templates, and eMail accounts. This is where OutSource-XP v2 helps you. It creates backups of your Outlook 2002 / 2003 files, settings, and eMail account settings. Additionally, OutSource-XP v2 can create a backup of your Office XP and Office 2003 activation.

OutSource-XP v2 automatically collects all important Outlook 2002 / 2003 files, you choose the files (and settings) you want to backup, and click a single button to start the backup creation. The unregistered version of OutSource-XP v2 saves the files into a pre-selected ‘backup-folder’, but does not compress the files. The registered version compresses the backup, and offers a ‘Quick-Backup’ feature to create a backup just with a single mouseclick. OutSource-XP: the Outlook add-on you need.

B

Barb in Texas

This is just what I'm looking for

This appears to meet my needs PERFECTLY! Thanks so much!

mochant said:
Barb:

You need to downoad Outsource-XP, a backup utility for Outlook. It's free (there is a paid version that adds a few extra features), foolproof, and will set your mind at ease. Here's an introduction from the download page:

Unfortunately neither Outlook 2002 nor Outlook 2003 include any option to save and restore all your important personal files, settings, templates, and eMail accounts. This is where OutSource-XP v2 helps you. It creates backups of your Outlook 2002 / 2003 files, settings, and eMail account settings. Additionally, OutSource-XP v2 can create a backup of your Office XP and Office 2003 activation.

OutSource-XP v2 automatically collects all important Outlook 2002 / 2003 files, you choose the files (and settings) you want to backup, and click a single button to start the backup creation. The unregistered version of OutSource-XP v2 saves the files into a pre-selected ‘backup-folder’, but does not compress the files. The registered version compresses the backup, and offers a ‘Quick-Backup’ feature to create a backup just with a single mouseclick. OutSource-XP: the Outlook add-on you need.

M

mochant

Happy to help.

Barb: I'm happy to hear that. The peace of mind that comes from having a solid backup strategy in place can not be overstated.