Outlook tasks => id to link a next-action and a project

tom.depoorter

Registered
Hey

I'am using GTD since more than 2 years now.
My tool is Outlook since I find it easy to put an e-mail in the body of an Outlook-task.

I'm facing one problem: since there no such thing as "subtasks" in Outlook (probably because MS wants to push users who want that functionality to MS Project ), I want that each task gets an unique ID, so I can link tasks that are on several task lists.

I explain why I need this functionality.
I've got 3 mean lists: to-do list (call next actions if you want to), multi actions and projects.
The projects list is my projectportfolio. It's a list for very big tasks. For instance building a new production site, replacing the servers, ... It are tasks that take months, a quarter, a year or more to be finished.
The multi action list is something I've invented myself to avoid that the project list gets too long. It's a list of tasks that take several actions to be finished, but I don't want to call a project.
My project list is something I would take to the management meetings, the multi action list not.

For each project on my project list, I create a seperate list, where I put the tasks for that project.
For each project, I also create a Outlook category. name category = name project.
This category links the project on my projectportfolio, the taks in the dedicated project list and the tasks that I drag and drop in to my to-do list during the weekly review.

I don't want to use categories to link tasks on my to-do list with a multiaction.
Because multi actions don't always have a small name and there are just to many.
I would like to have an unique id to do that.
Therefor Outlook should be able to create such id while saving a task.
I would write down the id that Outlook generated for my multi action in a field of the task that I put on my next-action list.
(Manually creating an id don't look to me a good idea, since there is a risk that you reuse an id several times.)

I've read that there exists a taskproperty called EntryId, but I don't know how I can visualize it, so it can be used

Can someone help me with that
or give some other advise to link tasks a part from categories?

Best regards

Tom

Yannick_L

Registered
Try the netcentrics addin for Outlook. I use it for a couple of years. It should give you what you are aiming at designing.

tom.depoorter

Registered
Thanks Yannick_L for your response.

I was trying to avoid to use an addin.

Since there are no other responses it's maybe the only solution.

I find this pretty weird to be honnest.
There are many GTD-users.
GTD works with hierarchical lists.
Outlook is very common.
So how they are doing it?
All using an addin?

Best regards

Tom

tom.depoorter

Registered
just thinking about somenthing.
Each task gets a creation timestamp (a don't know the name of the field in english, since I'm using a dutch version).

Maybe I can use this field of my multi action as ID - since it's impossible to create several tasks at the same time - to link the tasks on my to do list with those multi action.
I've just have to create a field in my to do list, that's all.

notmuch

Registered
tom.depoorter;111195 said:
....Manually creating an id don't look to me a good idea, since there is a risk that you reuse an id several times...

I think you should reconsider manual creation. I used to create descriptive project tags using CamelCase.... so a project tag might be "GetTires" or "Q4Report". CamelCase has two other advantages: easy to identify as a tag, and easy to select and search. If you absolutely, positively can't reuse a project tag, do a global search of your proposed tag first. Descriptive tags will be far more informative than "2013-11-23-0949".

Folke

Registered
Use a different app?

Have you already considered using another app than Outlook?

It would seem to me that what you are looking for - be able to send email to it, and be able to tie an action to a project - is something you will find out of the box in virtually any of the regular GTD apps - Doit.im, Nirvanahq.com, Zendone.com ...