Palm software that will import user-defined Outlook fields?

A

Anonymous

I use Outlook at my desk, and need help with my Palm. I don't use Outlook categories to sort by context (Phone, Desk, Errands, etc) because context keeps changing (eg I make a call and now must send that person something) and I like to drag and drop from context to context. Instead, I've set up user-defined fields where I keep the context and can change it by dragging and dropping.

The problem is that the Palm task list will synch only to Outlook categories, not to any other Outlook fields. Thus, I can't sort my Palm task list in any helpful way because my user-defined fields aren't available on the Palm. Does anyone know of Palm software that will synch to an Outlook task list and import user-defined Outlook fields? Or am I missing another way to solve this problem?

Thanks for any help.

ext555

Registered
user defined fields to palm

the only palm software I know of that does this is "key contacts" by Chapura--but that doesn't help with the task list :(

you might not be able to drag -n-drop your tasks around but you can change categories quickly by right clicking on the task in the list, categories is a selection on the menu --then you can change it without having to open the task.

not much , but I hope it helps some

paul

E

Elizabeth W

Re: user defined fields to palm

ext555 said:
you might not be able to drag -n-drop your tasks around but you can change categories quickly by right clicking on the task in the list, categories is a selection on the menu --then you can change it without having to open the task.

paul

That's how I do it. I might have to call a contractor then wait for his reply to my query. The initial task would have the category @calls, then after I have called him, I simply change the category to @waiting for and perhaps add some notes to update the situation.

Also, if a task has multi, sequential steps, ie call contractor, get quotation, purchase supplies, etc, I enter the steps in the notes field of the task. When setting up the task, I enter a plus (+) sign at the beginning of the subject line to indicate that there are more steps. This way, I don't simply mark the task off without bringing the next step into play. I suppose it is a sort of mini-project.

A

Anonymous

user defined fields to Palm

Right-clicking to change categories is simple, but I think it will solve the problem. Thanks to you both.

kglade

Registered
Instead, I've set up user-defined fields where I keep the context and can change it by dragging and dropping.
In my Outlook set-up I'm using categories for context and can drag and drop to change context as long as I am in a view that groups by category. Doesn't this accomplish what you are looking for?

Ken

A

Anonymous

At least the way it's set up in our office, dragging something from one Category group to another adds the new category, but doesn't delete the old -- so it stays in "@Calls" even though it's now also added to "@Office." To get rid of the old category you have to open it up or, as the responders here pointed out, right click.

I'm not complaining about this feature of categories. It's great to have a field that supports multiple entries for some purposes -- it's a powerful feature of Outlook's database -- but it doesn't work for GTD contexts.