Palm Users - How do you synch in a Microsoft World of Work?

R

RobLewis

In the "normal" world of work, where the only PDA that's corporately supported/allowed to be used to synch with desktop without legal punishment is the chunky, clunky Pocket PC, how do Palm users effectively synch work and home stuff together in ONE comprehensive system?

I'm a Palm user (T3), and am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to find a way in which I can synch at work using Outlook. How do other people DO this? I don't understand how people can be using Palm desktop software at work (or even an add in with Outlook), as in U.K. anything other than "Vanilla" company software (i.e Outlook and no frills Pocket PC) will never be OK'd past the I.T. gatekeepers...

Any methods/tips really appreciated. I would love to be able to synch my work and home stuff together on ONE Palm. Will this ever be done?

kewms

Registered
Unless your IT folks have locked something out, a T3 should sync to Outlook just fine. You do have to install the special Outlook conduits as part of Palm Desktop, but otherwise it's trivially easy.

Katherine

mcogilvie

Registered
RobLewis said:
I'm a Palm user (T3), and am finding it IMPOSSIBLE to find a way in which I can synch at work using Outlook. How do other people DO this? I don't understand how people can be using Palm desktop software at work (or even an add in with Outlook), as in U.K. anything other than "Vanilla" company software (i.e Outlook and no frills Pocket PC) will never be OK'd past the I.T. gatekeepers...

There are a couple of possibilities here:
a) you can make a case for productivity, reliability, et cetera, and IT says ok.
b) you make the case, but IT says no.
c) nobody cares about your problem, but nobody cares if you do something that is not approved as long as you are not caught.
d) nobody gives hoot about your problem, and you will get in mucho trouble if you try to circumvent policy.
e) nobody cares about your problem, but you can get away with doing things that IT hasn't gotten around to forbidding.

I'd shoot for a), expect b), then think for a minute about c), but realize that d) was more likely. If I could, I'd go with e). I'd sync my outlook at work to an online service, which I could then use to sync to Outlook at my home, and thus my palm. Not perfect, but maybe ok. I could always

f) realize that security is more important in my job than my efficiency
OR
g) realize that I am working for a chicken**** outfit and look elsewhere.

There you go. A complete project plan.

S

StuGib

mcogilvie said:
There are a couple of possibilities here:
a) you can make a case for productivity, reliability, et cetera, and IT says ok.
b) you make the case, but IT says no.

One 'angle of attack' (having dealt with power-hungry IT admins before) is that the fact they allow PocketPC sync shows their concern is support issues rather than information security. You could assure them that if there are increased support issues once you've installed Palm Desktop then you'll uninstall it again.

It would help to have management support when approaching IT - if you can convince your manager it increases your productivity then it'll carry more weight when you get to IT. Just start missing a few deadlines and you'll be sorted ;)

jpm

Registered
I haven't tried this and it may or may not work depending on your environment. You could copy your outlook .ost offline store to a thumb drive and connect it to a personal PC at home and sync there. That is assuming that the IT security people will let you bring in a thumb drive..

w_i_t_n_a

Registered
Palm Synching

Have a look at the Commontime website in the UK, they produce a third party synching software. I use Lotus Notes at work and I was trying to find a solution for a T3 and this product worked brilliantly. It has conduits for both Lotus and MS synching so it would be worth considering. The product also has a 30 day free full functional trial and their after sales service through email has been outstanding.

As to your IT department... best of British luck.

R

RobLewis

Thanks for suggestions. Have since been told by IT that it's off limits unless can make convincing business case to senior manager.

jpm - like your idea about the ost file, but not sure where it is. Perhaps another alternative is synching Pocket PC at work, take home and synch, then synch palm at home with that. A bit long winded but could work?

R

RobLewis

I've just seen Jeff K's Post above regarding synching with a thumb drive - looks like a great way of doing it!!