PC at Work, Mac at home, ipod touch/iphone in pocket

macgadget

Registered
Hi Guys,
I've just finished the book and am looking to implement the system at home and work, with the "main" calender being mac/iphone based. I have been looking at omnifocus, things and other mac GTD programs. At work we have outlook 2003 and I need a way to at least get my calender items and email sent to the appropriate places on my mac... is there a FAQ or a set up guide for us PC work/mac at home iphone folks to get everything talking?
thanks in advance...

mcogilvie

Registered
Good luck with that!

macgadget;60672 said:
Hi Guys,
At work we have outlook 2003 and I need a way to at least get my calender items and email sent to the appropriate places on my mac... is there a FAQ or a set up guide for us PC work/mac at home iphone folks to get everything talking?

I'm sorry- I just can't stop laughing. (Laughs maniacally.) It will pass soon, I'm sure. There's no FAQ, and you need help like Dante needed Virgil. This is one of the reasons I had to change to mac's at work once I switched at home. The email is easy if you set everything up for imap. If you can't do that with your work account, at least do it with a gmail account. There are several ways to get the calendars talking, but I'm not sure how well they will work for you. For tasks, it should theoretically be possible to get Outlook talking to iCal, iCal on Mac to Omnifocus on Mac, Omnifocus Mac to Omnifocus iPhone. This is a great option for people with strong computer skills and lots of time on their hands. Frankly, I think it would be more productive to write your lists on your arms in magic marker. If you can, I recommend instead using either Toodledo or Remember the Milk, which are both web-based, with Appigo Todo on your iPhone to sync to either one and give you off-grid access.

Beltza

Registered
Do you really have to synch?

I am in more or less the same situation as you, with Microsoft Outlook in the office and OmniFocus on my home macbook.

At first I also tried to synchronize both systems, but soon found out that it added way to much complexity to my system. So I asked myself: What information do y need access to from the other system?

I found out that most has to do with capturing ideas. Now, whenever I am at home and I have a work-related idea, I just send an e-mail to my work address and will process it at the office together with my other mail.

The other way around I do the same thing, prepending the subject of the message with -- so Mail will pass it automatically to OmniFocus.

I found out that I don't need any access to my task lists, but do want to consult my home calendar from the office. To do so, I have set up Plaxo, which makes my private calendar accessible from the internet (you could do the same with Google Calendar).

That is how I work nowadays, with two different systems but the possibility to pass information.

macgadget

Registered
thanks guys....obviously this is a work in progress. I have been tinkering with the email...its working for certain aspects...need to figure out a way when I respond to a meeting invite (which adds to outlook calender), I automatically fire off an email to myself which automatically gets on to my iCal. Automatically is the key here....