PDA's

A

Anonymous

I am using outlook (with the contacts as projects method), I want to move to a PDA as well. Can someone help?

Will a palm system sync exactly with outlook e..g will it transfer all the categories and contacts as projects on to the palm

M

mochant

Categories are limited on the Palm

Syncing with Outlook is pretty much a slam dunk with new Palm OS PDAs. One thing you do need to keep in mind is that the Palm OS has a limit of 15 categories and can't hold more than 4K in memo fields or notes. If you need more, you should look at KeySuite from Chapura, an Outlook work-alike that overcomes these limits and more exactly syncs with Outlook's additional information fields.

jrdouce

Registered
Contacts are limited on older Palms

I have a Palm Tungsten T, and the Palm address book only holds a single address per contact. Newer models support, with Palm OS 5.2 claim to support multiple addresses for a contact, but I haven't had a chance to see it for myself.

If you have an older Palm, KeySuite from Chapura has worked very well for me. It allows multiple addresses, greater than 15 categories, and allows multiple categories for a single task - so you can add a single task entry to multiple lists if required.

lrduncan

Registered
Re: PDA's

neil00709 said:
I am using outlook (with the contacts as projects method), I want to move to a PDA as well. Can someone help?

Will a palm system sync exactly with outlook e..g will it transfer all the categories and contacts as projects on to the palm

So, you are creating a contact for the project and then in the task you are assigning that contact in the contact field?

That will not sync using the plain vanilla palm applications (as far as I'm aware). You will need to use KeySuite for that. VERY nice program but pricey at about $70.

A

Anonymous

key suite

so key suite is the software to get by the sounds of it

anyone got a view on a palm that will do all this at a reasonable cost

Tungsten E?
Clie?

M

mochant

Re: key suite

neil00709 said:
so key suite is the software to get by the sounds of it

anyone got a view on a palm that will do all this at a reasonable cost

Tungsten E?
Clie?

Given Sony's announcement yesterday that they are "suspending" development and sales of Clies in North America and Europe, you need to think this through. On the one hand, Clie prices will certainly be competitive as inventories are cleared (and Sony has stated they will continue to offer support through the end-of-life products' warranties). On the other, this feels like a dead end in terms of upgrade path. Palm OS 6 is coming (who knows when) but Sony will certainly not offer an upgrade path (they've always been bad about supporting OS migrations).

Even though I'm the very satisifed owner of a Clie UX50, going with a Palm unit sems like the smarter move. The Tungstens have gotten ove their initial release bugs and the new higher-end Zire unit looks nice too.