PDFs: Bookmarking a possibility?

J

Jestre

I'm currently in the early implementation phase of a major upgrade to several mainframe systems, and I have been carrying the manuals, etc on my laptop in PDF format. This has worked well thus far, as it allows me to trudge through them as time permits. The problem I am encountering, however, is that I have no way to either 1) mark up/highlight significant sections, and 2) to later jump directly to those sections.

As these beasties account for several thousand pages of documents, I am loathe to print even a significant section of them if I don't have to, but I do need a way to better manage them. Granted, my desktop search tool will index them, but I would love to find a way to link into them if at all possibly, and maintain those links in either a desktop search tool (Google, Copernic) or OneNote/Evernote.

Any suggestions or pointers are gladly accepted. I'm on Linux and Windows, so the software would need to be usable from one of those platforms.

Thanks

P

PDJunieB

If you use Firefox, there are two extensions that will help you:

1) PDF Download allows you to open PDF links as HTML. Available at the Mozilla extensions page: PDF Download I haven't got this to work *opening* pdf files, but it works fine with links. You would have to write a quick and dirty link file in order to grab your PDFs.

2) Once you have #1 installed, you can then use an extension called Page Bookmarks, which allows you to set a bookmark on an HTML page. It allows you to mark a spot on a page, and then return to that spot later. (It's not a bookmarking tool in the sense of saving a page as a Favorite.) Page Bookmarks is available here: PageBookmarks

A lower-tech solution would be to export the manual, or some subset of it, to a text file, which you could edit with a reminder note of your choosing.

kewms

Registered
Jestre said:
I'm currently in the early implementation phase of a major upgrade to several mainframe systems, and I have been carrying the manuals, etc on my laptop in PDF format. This has worked well thus far, as it allows me to trudge through them as time permits. The problem I am encountering, however, is that I have no way to either 1) mark up/highlight significant sections, and 2) to later jump directly to those sections.

You might look at PaperPort. It includes a variety of PDF annotation tools, including both markup and the ability to "restack" pages from several different files into one (new) file. I haven't used its search and index functions enough to know how well they work, but they do exist.

Katherine

Elena

Registered
Is it possible to ask for your company to buy a copy of Adobe Acrobat Professional? I have the 7.0 version. It has the ability to insert comments into the PDF document, which are searchable. You can also bookmark a spot, and come back to it. Adobe Acrobat has a sidebar, a series of tabs on the left side. You can hide the tabs or expand them. One tab is for bookmarks, one is for comments, one is for page thumbnails, etc.

There are other PDF document handling softwares out there, probably not as expensive. Good luck!

Elena