Pocket PC advice?

Z

zootski

Quick question for all you gadget lovers: I need to move from the Palm world to the Pocket PC. My trusty Palm IIIx took a major hit in the luggage hold of an airliner (dumb move on my part...) and is now defunct. Current work and software needs argue for a Pocket PC, so I am looking at the IPAQ, Dell etc. offerings.

I would like to hear opinions on the 'best models'. I am looking for good value, reliability, not leading edge, but not so old it will be out of date too soon. I may well get extra memory as the mapping software I need to demo is quite demanding.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Are you sure? Palm is easier and quicker to use, in my opionion. I have tried both.

A

Anonymous

After doing extensive research, I bought me a Palm OS device also.

Z

zootski

PocketPC rationale

BJ said:
Are you sure? Palm is easier and quicker to use, in my opionion. I have tried both.

I like the Palm a lot - I've been through two of them since sometime around 1998/1999. However, being in the Geographic Information Systems business, it has become clear that the PocketPC is the dominant platform for development of applications for field data collection and mapping, so I feel the need to immerse myself in that environment.

A

Anonymous

Palms are better with PC than PPC

If I had to get the best, most useful and faithful linkage of Microsoft Windows stuff to a handheld, I would get a Palm-powered PDA, and put KeySuite and Documents to Go on it. While Micro$oft has put a lot of effort into multimedia, their core software on the PPC is not very good.

If you need a PPC for work, fieldwork, specialized software and such, just use it for work.

My $0.02,
Mike

A

Anonymous

Yes. my suggestion is also if you need PPC for work OK use it for that, but if you want to effective and fast manage calender, tasks, memos, contacts, nothing beats Palm, in my opinion. And I have used several Pocket PC, smartphones (symbian), paper based systems.

I now use Tungsten T3. And this is the best I have tried to this date.

A

Anonymous

Re: Rubbish (off-topic)

JamesM said:
The Pocket PC is just as easy to use as a Palm.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,5971

To get back on topic (he said he was going to move from Palm to Pocket PC), I would recommend an iPaq 2210 or 1945, depending on budget.

JamesM

I read the article you reference. It doesn't make a very good case. I agree that PPC's may have more capabilities in some areas, and many people use them with good results. But the core PIM applications are underpowered and over-designed at the same time. I am using KeySuite, so I have PIM functionality equivalent to a PPC on my Palm, but Chapura's design is just a whole lot better than Microsoft's for GTD.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Then we can disagree :). I'm not interested in an extended debate on the merits of one platform over the other. There's plenty of material out there for that. Use what works for you. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint to the "Palm is best" mantra I was reading here.

The topic wasn't "which is better, Palm or Pocket PC?". zootski told us that he was moving from Palm to Pocket PC, and needed a recommendation on a device.

-James

Z

zootski

JamesM said:
zootski told us that he was moving from Palm to Pocket PC, and needed a recommendation on a device.

-James

Thanks for the suggestions. Despite my perceived 'need' for a Pocket PC, I am still missing my Palm - it is an elegant solution for fitting in with the GTD philosophy. But the work situation often takes precedence - for example I just spent over two hours reconfiguring Outlook on a new laptop. Would I choose to use Outlook for email and calendar? NO! Not only is it overloaded with features, it's still flakey. I am paranoid about my .PST file getting corrupted - never a problem with Eudora etc. :lol:

I will check out those two suggested IPAQ's - if I could get something for about $99 I would jump on it!

Z