• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Post-server crash hello and introduction

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bunabayashi
  • Start date Start date
B

Bunabayashi

Guest
Hello again everyone.. it would appear my first post/introduction was vaporized with the recent server catastrophe.

My name is Dave Bockman, I'm a Landscape Architect, currently pursuing my MLA while also holding down two full-time careers. In my 'spare' time I also freelance write on a myriad of topics.

Before implementing the GTD method, it would be an understatement to say I was paralyzed with indecision when contemplating my own personal amorphous blob of Stuff I Had To Do. No matter what I chose to do, if I began doing it, a gnawing suspicion that I was letting something else, some small but critical item on my agenda, slide into the Dire Emergency/Must Get Done NOW/BWOOP BWOOP BWOOP! category (that's one category you don't see on your Palm Priority List I bet!) would slowly worm its way into my frontal lobe, until I HAD to stop what I was doing and furiously search my mental RAM for what the heck I was screwing up by not doing at that moment. Not a pleasant way to live. :oops:

While trying not to appear too melodramatic, I will say with all sincerity that David Allen and Co. have radically changed my life for the better. I have fully implemented the GTD Method save for the complete assembly of all reference material-- however I'm certain that there are no next action commitments in those stacks o' stuff. I will have it ALL processed by Monday.

Everyone in my personal and professional life with whom I've had contact since implementing GTD has commented on my improved cheer, my new-found ability to get right back to them with whatever it is they need of me, and my overall improved demeanor. Best of all, I FEEL so much better now. Now, when I sit down to do an enjoyable task (such as pruning my bonsai trees) I actually enjoy it as I should rather than fret that I should be addressing some other more pressing matter. There has been a concomitant rise in the quality of the work as well, imho.

If anyone is wondering, I use a Palm Pilot Vx-- set up as David suggests-- to capture most of my incoming information. I have a vehicle inbox (I am out in the field quite a bit, meeting potential clients, clients, subcontractors, inspectors, etc.) in which I stash everything (receipts, business cards, checks, etc). I then bring it all back to the office and process it there, thus far about twice a week.

Cheers everyone!

Dave
 
Top