Powerful, Free, Mindmapping Application

moises

Registered
Compendium is the first free mindmapping program that I've stuck with for more than 3 weeks. I am using it more and more. The only downside is that printing can be awkward. I have solved that issue at work by exporting jpegs to Photoshop. Not everyone will have that ability.

Just for kicks, I created a GTD map here. Once you register, you can publish your maps to the developer's website. It takes very little time to start using. Nonetheless, it is quite a sophisticated piece of work.

Have fun.

br4978

Registered
Hmmmm.....

Dude - Use that Search function! 'Compendium mindmap' is a great keyword to start with...

moises

Registered
moises;55711 said:
. . . The only downside is that printing can be awkward. I have solved that issue at work by exporting jpegs to Photoshop. Not everyone will have that ability. . . here. Once you register, you can publish your maps to the developer's website. It takes very little time to start using. Nonetheless, it is quite a sophisticated piece of work.

Have fun.
I believe that I have found a nice workaround, which does not require Photoshop, for the printing issue.

Right-click the map you wish to print. Choose Export, Web Maps. Then choose Selected View and Full Depth. This will create an html file which you can then open in Firefox. In Firefox you can choose portrait or landscape orientation. Firefox sizes the map so that it prints on one page.

moises

Registered
Cmap for Concept Mapping

I still use Compendium and find it outstanding.

But lately I've also been working with Cmap, which has some functionality Compendium lacks. Both have their advantages.

Like Compendium, Cmap is free. Where Cmap really shines is the flexibility it has in the lines that link the nodes.

moises

Registered
sweat;59454 said:
I've been using Freemind. How do Compendium and CMap compare?
I like them both.
They both have nodes that are joined or linked by lines. They both allow the lines to point from node A to B, B to A, or with arrows going both ways.

They both permit the linking lines to be labeled. If "John" is one node and "Mary" is another node, they both allow a linking line to go from John to Mary, and they both allow the linking line to be labeled "loves."

But what if John is a bigamist? What if John loves Mary and John loves Jane? In Compendium, you would create two linking lines from the John node. One line from John to Mary and another line from John to Jane. In Cmap you can "split" the linking line. So, there is a line from John to Loves, and there is are two lines emerging from Loves, one line to Mary and one line to Jane.

Compendium allows the user to put in their own images as nodes. If you've been exposed to Tony Buzan concepts of mind-mapping, that is nice. Instead of creating a node by typing the word "John" you can use an image of John.

Compendium has something called "transclusion." If you want to use the same node in different maps, Compendium keeps track of that. And if you change the node or any of the information associated with it in one map, those changes flow through to that nodes occurrences in other maps.

I have found it easier to print from Cmap than Compendium.

I did a free trial of MindManager a few years ago and didn't stick with it. I tried Freemind for a few weeks and didn't stick with that. What I liked a lot about Compendium and Cmap is that you can label the linking lines.

Cmap is slightly more intuitive than Compendium. You can be up and running with it in a few minutes. Compendium takes a little more time.

What do you want to use these applications for? How you use them might determine which one would be most beneficial. My biggest use of these mapping tools is in teaching a class. I teach a 155 minute class once a week. I used to write or type notes on what I wanted to cover. Then I started doing hand-made mindmaps and liked them better. Now I do digital maps and post them online so that the students can see them.

Hehadahat

Registered
Mind Jet Mind Manager and Goal Enforcer

moises;55711 said:
Compendium is the first free mindmapping program that I've stuck with for more than 3 weeks. I am using it more and more. The only downside is that printing can be awkward. I have solved that issue at work by exporting jpegs to Photoshop. Not everyone will have that ability.

Just for kicks, I created a GTD map here. Once you register, you can publish your maps to the developer's website. It takes very little time to start using. Nonetheless, it is quite a sophisticated piece of work.

Have fun.

Today I worked with the mindjet mindmanager. I made a mind map starting from the idea of next step or I guess it's called NA here.

I liked using it and had decided to purchase it but then I found that it seemed to run to three or four hundred dollars.

I had a program that I'd bought for $19.95 or so on line and transfered what I'd created to that program. That one GOAL ENFORCER is SIMPLE to use and I'd selected it after buying a returning another goal setting program that ran maybe $95.

Goal enforcer lets you see how it works without downloading anything, and one may get all they need for about $9.95.

Like Moises, I say Have Fun ! I think satisfaction and joy - and not just GTD is what GTD is all about.