powermarks - netsync facility

H

helenjc

Hi there
After Bill's suggestion I finally took the plunge and have been trialling powermarks for the last day and it's unbelievable. I'm getting close to setting up my reference filing system inside pm as well - but am really nervous about it.... will post my concerns in another message later on when my mind is clearer... my main question now is that on the powermarks handbook or guide it says you 'can access your bookmarks from any computer' .. now is this true? i've signed up to netsync but can't see where i would sign 'in' to that service if i was on say a client's computer and wanted to show them some sites relevant to their situation.
From what I can see you need to have powermarks installed to download the bookmarks... perhaps I"m getting it wrong...
thanks for your help....
Helen

whkratz

Registered
Hi Helen -- No, you are correct. The NetSync option is for use when you have Powermarks installed on whatever computers are involved. It is not designed as a "website" that you can visit to see your bookmarks. It's purpose is as a method to sync your bookmarks between two installations of Powermarks, or as a backup of your bookmarks that can be restored to a Powermarks installation in case of a catastrophe.

By the way, don't be nervous about setting up the filing system. Just try a "sample" of files, and see how it goes. You can always abandon the idea if you don't like it. However, I can just about guarantee that you will be pleased. This method takes GTD filing to another level.

C

CosmoGTD

Powermarks Rules!
I use it all day everyday.
Be sure to BACKUP the Powermarks data file though.
(its in the Powermarks folder, mine is called PM35.htm

Coz

A

Anonymous

Backing up Powermarks

Hi Coz,

I have recently learned about Powermarks and I downloaded the trial a few days ago. I like it a lot and I think I will use it for my physical files in the manner Bill Kratz has suggested.

Regarding your recent posting:

Is there a "Backup" feature in Powermarks, which backs the data up, or do you mean that one should remember that there is data in this file and should be backed up with the rest of the data, which usually resides in the "My documents" file?

If the latter is what you meant, do you know if Powermarks allows for the data file to be stored in a location of your choice, ie: in the "My documents folder"?

Thanks,

Calin

C

CosmoGTD

In Powermarks, press,
View, Options, User Interface,
And check the Option for "Create Backup Files".

It creates the backup data file in the Powermarks program folder, as far as i know, that cannot be changed. I just select the Powermarks folder as part of my backup job, so all the backups get backed up! I have over 3000 bookmarks!

Here is the help note from Powermarks....

-----------------
Create backup file
Powermarks actually creates two backup files. These files have the same name as the original bookmark file but have extensions of .ba0 and .ba1. The file with the .ba0 extension is just the last file revision that existed before your most recent changes. The .ba1 file is a bit more complicated. In this file, Powermarks attempts to capture the largest collection of bookmarks that existed in the past couple of months.