Privacy Outlook/Lotus in a Large Company

sesteph6

Registered
As Wunderlist approaches the end, I am back on the market considering a list manager.... again. Probably a return to evernote, BUT I can not avoid the appeal of using Outlook...
1. 90% of my tasks come from email. Conversion is SO simple.
2. 70% of my tasks have a Waiting for component... Again, the BCC: tip in the setup guide make this So easy to manage.
3. LOVE the idea of 1 central repository for my day, everything in one organized space.... a dashboard per se where emails can become tasks, and tasks can become calender events....
4. My company runs on it entirely... meetings, etc.

So this would seem like no brainer right? Here is my question. Does anyone else struggle with storing personal things on the company server. Things like, my someday maybe list....

Any thoughts by those who have consolidated to one system in a company environment.

mcogilvie

Registered
So this would seem like no brainer right? Here is my question. Does anyone else struggle with storing personal things on the company server. Things like, my someday maybe list....

Any thoughts by those who have consolidated to one system in a company environment.

Because the list manager component in Outlook is not supported cross-platform by Microsoft, it is a poor choice for many.

There is another aspect to this: not only do you give your company access to detailed information about your personal life, you may lose your own access to your information. This is not hypothetical. My university is moving to Office 365, for HIPAA and FERPA compliance issues. I was testing the Outlook client on my iPad, and at one point was informed that an administrator had revoked my access, for unspecified reasons; that account, with email and calendars was gone from Outlook on the iPad. No one knows why. I still had access to the email and calendar information, via Apple's apps linked to the same account. I won't go into Microsoft's security model, but let me say that unless you are an expert, I would not entrust critical personal information to a corporate Outlook environment.

sesteph6

Registered
A little *bump here

I'm curious if any DAG consultants have seen this concern in the past, and if so how have customers thought through it? Thanks!!

Oogiem

Registered
Does anyone else struggle with storing personal things on the company server.
When I was working for other companies the answer was I would NEVER store personal data on any company computer. Every company I ever worked for required me to sign that all information on their machines became their property. That is unacceptable to me for my private stuff.

Then again, I am very cloud adverse. I won't put information into cloud accounts either. I set up my own cloud with servers and machines I control or I do manual sync when I am at my base station.

Nothing in any machine outside your personal control or that is connected to the Internet is secure.

John Ismyname

Registered
"Does anyone else struggle with storing personal things on the company server. Things like, my someday maybe list...."
No. Run separate email accounts, separate calendars and separate tasks lists. There are ways in Outlook to consolidate/unify the VIEW for these things while keeping them as separate entities.

I am self-employed and use Outlook as my GTD platform with my company email as my main email, a personal email, and a my client whose Outlook365 integrates with my desk-top outlook.
"1. 90% of my tasks come from email. Conversion is SO simple." Agreed. Outlook is well suited for GTD processing. I would contend its easy to convert your remaining 10% to Outlook as well.

"2. 70% of my tasks have a Waiting for component... Again, the BCC: tip in the setup guide" (I am not sure what set-up guide you mean. GTD has an Outlook set up guide, which I have not read.) I'd just convert them to an Outlook-task categorized as "@ Waiting For" setting-up email directories is a throwback to having separate paper, physical files. Outlook can do all of the grunt-work automatically!

3. LOVE the idea of 1 central repository for my day, everything in one organized space.... a dashboard per se where emails can become tasks, and tasks can become calendar events" "I'd make an item an Outlook task OR an Outlook calendar appointment. Once its an appointment, it ceases to be a task.
4. My company runs on it entirely... meetings, etc." Then you are set!

TruthWK

Registered
I have two separate GTD systems for work and personal. Anything that is specific to my job goes in the work system. In a perfect world, I'd love to have just one system but I don't want the company owning my personal info and I don't want to get in trouble moving a bunch of company info into my personal tools.