Procrastination Vs. ADD Vs. Addiction

Hey gang....wasn't sure where to go for this one, so here I am. It's confession time for me. I've been a GTD Geek since reading the book back in 2003. Always a creature of procrastination in school, college, and professionally since I was in the 3rd Grade, that initial "Eureka!" moment we all get from GTD was an unbelievable feeling.

But yet here I am at my work desk. It's 4:30 PM on a Wednesday, and I haven't been able to get more than a minimum of tasks done this week. I'm talking embarassing, "why-are-you-still-employed" amounts of work. Distractions on the internet, blogging, and non-work related IM's have been the bulk of my week. It's almost like AA, where I feel like I have to admit that I'm powerless to these distractions. My job is such that I need to have a computer at hand for various tasks and projects, so I can't completely "unplug". Man, I wish I could!

I want to be able to practice what I preach to friends and family about productivity and personal accountability, and still be able to look myself in the mirror. The ability to be able to do what you say what you're going to do in the time you said you were going to do it. To have a passion and a satisfaction that comes from getting the job done, and freeing myself from the constrains and worries about all that I'm not doing. That's what I want.

David Allen's concepts of Getting Things Done works. I don't want to discourage skeptics who may think that it's just another thing for people with some OCD issues to play with and feel good about all the things that they're not doing. No, it works, trust me. I've been in that "Mind Like Water" state before.....many times. But I've never made procrastination a permament memory for me. I still battle everyday for my own mind's attention.

I know I am not alone here. That's why I felt compelled to write here. I'm not sure if I'm seeking advice, a listening ear, a ton of bricks to fall on me....not sure. All of the above, I guess. I'll get there. I thought sharing it would aid in the accountability portion of things.