Procrastination Webinar

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hello Connect Members!

Hope those of you that were able to join today's Procrastination Webinar found it to be helpful. The archive link for replay will be posted soon to the Webinars box on the home page of Connect.

In the meantime, 2 members have created mindmaps from the webinar that they are sharing with other Connect members:

One, from PWhite, is posted here.
Another, from Ad, is attached below.

With both file attachments, it might work better to save to your desktop, then launch the detached file. Sometimes launching from the Connect Forum directly does funky things with the attachment.

Thanks to both of you for submitting these!

Cheers,
Kelly

Attached files image_358.mmap (33.1 KB) 

Barb

Registered
Maybe the best one yet

That was a terrific webinar, Kelly. I love the way you and Meg interact. You guys made me LOL more than once.

New project for me: Analyze my Procrastination Issues

I don't procrastinate on everything or even do it that often, but when I do it, I'm a mess. I saw myself all over the place in your stories today!

theoconbrio

Registered
Great conversation; thanks to both of you! I had some preconceived (and well-worn!) notions about why I procrastinate, but all that ruminating on "why" hadn't really led to a positive new set of behaviors. What I loved about this was how so much of what you recommended comes down to "think it through, deliberately and clearly, to a positive outcome," where "it" can be the project, the next action, or even your own emotional discomfort about a project.

Meg's recommendation to look for the "ummm" (or in my case "ugh!") moments in the weekly review and make those the deliberate focus of quality thinking helps me enormously. Thanks again!

TesTeq

Registered
The attached file wants to have a name with "htm" extension.

kelstarrising;68596 said:
Another, from Ad, is attached below.

The attached file wants to have a name with "htm" extension instead of "mmap" (I use WinXP/Opera environment).

pwhite

Registered
Added a step to my weekly reivew

I've added a step to my weekly review.

Specifically identify the two actions or projects on which I have been procrastinating the most (I'd be dishonest if I said there were only two!), acknowledge that I've been procrastinating and clarify how to make progress within the next week. One in my professional life and one in my personal life.

Phil

Barb

Registered
Project

I added a project to create an anti-procrastination strategy. I'm thinking of developing a checklist to use with things that aren't moving forward.

I'm also thinking of doing a "procrastination review" midweek (between weekly reviews) so I can get ahead of it that much faster. I think it was Meg that use that phrase "getting ahead of it"....there is gold in that, for me.

laurac

Registered
Nice tips

Thanks for the sharing the tips about how to make procrastination more apparent by incorporating a little "detective session" into the weekly review and/or the trusted system. These are simple additions to the process, but ones I had not thought of before in quite this way. Awesome job, kids!

adepijper

Registered
pdf of mindmap

Hi,

For those that don't have the MindManager software, I attached a pdf copy of the mindmap. Hope this helps.

Ad

Attached files image_360.pdf (101 KB) 

Oogiem

Registered
adepijper;68666 said:
I attached a pdf copy of the mindmap.

Thanks, That is very helpful. I hope I can listen to the webinar sometime but we're a bit busy right now.

jason.verly

Registered
One of the best topics

I sat through the Procrastination webinar and I thought it was one of the best sessions I've ever sat through. Why? Because it delved into some of the psychology of GTD and gave a really unique angle on how/why it works. Most sessions and podcasts have focused on how to do GTD, but this one put a completely new spin on GTD for me. I'd love to see other webinar or telepresence seminars touch on the psychology of GTD.

BTW: That seminar was the ultimate reason I kept my GTD Connect membership after my trial membership was over. Keep up the great work guys!

laurac

Registered
A new question I'm asking myself...

I was recently sharing with a friend about all of the emotional energy that seems to glom on to the next actions on which I procrastinate. (Side note: suddenly I am so aware that my boss reads these posts. :shock:)
:)

One of the questions Meg and Kelly encouraged us to ask when looking at our next actions is "Do I have all of the information I need to do this?"

I have some perfectionist, um, shall we say, "tendencies". Whenever I find myself stalled out on something lately, I'm now asking myself, "Do I have all of the information I need - / What do I need - to feel like I am doing this well?"

Believe it or not, it's making a big difference. Either I identify a need to get more granular about my next step, or I get a sense of perspective and just chill out my standards a little bit. Big win here for me.

Barb

Registered
Ooooh, good one!

laurac;70623 said:
I was recently sharing with a friend about all of the emotional energy that seems to glom on to the next actions on which I procrastinate. (Side note: suddenly I am so aware that my boss reads these posts. :shock:)
:)

One of the questions Meg and Kelly encouraged us to ask when looking at our next actions is "Do I have all of the information I need to do this?"

I have some perfectionist, um, shall we say, "tendencies". Whenever I find myself stalled out on something lately, I'm now asking myself, "Do I have all of the information I need - / What do I need - to feel like I am doing this well?"

Believe it or not, it's making a big difference. Either I identify a need to get more granular about my next step, or I get a sense of perspective and just chill out my standards a little bit. Big win here for me.

Laura,

I struggle with some of the same tendencies from time to time. Great advice! I do find, though, that I've gotten better about it with age (and overwhelming workflow that forces the issue helped too)