Project Management Tools?

thr61

Registered
I own and operate a small information design consultancy and have been using GTD for about a year to optimize how I run my business and interact with clients. However, as our group has grown, I had identified a need for a company-wide project management tool. I would appreciate any thoughts on this subject and practical experiences from GTD-folks (who I feel have a different perspective on such thing). It needs to to be web-based due to cross-platform issues (we are a mixed Mac and PC shop) and so I see an ASP solution as the most likely.

We have looked at basecamp and find it interesting, but it does not allow for an all project roll-up view or help in managing and allocating resources and resource pools. We are dread to go near MS Project due to bloat and its need for relentless care and feeding. We are currently evaluating AtTask and OpenAir but I am hoping for more suggestions and any feedback members might have on those programs. Our only other major requirement would be that the tool include a time-tracking module.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

TesTeq

Registered
GTD - PerPETool (Personal Project Execution Tool).

GTD is not a Project Management tool. It is rather a PerPETool (Personal Project Execution Tool).

P

phigam01

Correct, but I think the origional poster was looking for input from GTD'ers since we evaluate software and tools differently than the average user.

TesTeq said:
GTD is not a Project Management tool. It is rather a PerPETool (Personal Project Execution Tool).

thr61

Registered
Exactly right. I know GTD is not a project management tool. However, many users of the system are information workers who often deal with project management. I assumed that some subset of this group would have experience with available tools and would bring a GTD sensibility and perspective to their evaluation.

If there is agreement that this is too far off topic, I will be happy to remove the post.

TesTeq

Registered
Not my intention.

thr61 said:
If there is agreement that this is too far off topic, I will be happy to remove the post.
It was not my intention. I only wanted to avoid any misunderstandings about GTD.

D

Douglas

Have you looked at iLign?

Hi,

Try iLign (http://www.ilign.com ). We had a demo of the system and it seemed to be easy to use. Everything was web based and it had time keeping built in.

Douglas

mramm

Registered
thr61 said:

Unfortunately, after a response is posted, you cannot remove the original post.

That said people use Project Management tools daily for GTD, and like phigam01 said we do evalute software a little differently then most people. We look for the most productive way to use software, and if it is clunky then we usually give it a thumbs down.

Michael

thr61

Registered
mramm said:
Unfortunately, after a response is posted, you cannot remove the original post.

That said people use Project Management tools daily for GTD, and like phigam01 said we do evalute software a little differently then most people. We look for the most productive way to use software, and if it is clunky then we usually give it a thumbs down.

Michael

Which was my original reason for posting in the first place. My business requires a PM solution and being a strong advocate of GTD and using several tools based on its principles (outlook plugin and MLO), I was hoping to see what like-minded folks would recommend. I don't know of anyone who actually LIKES MS Project, but it keeps getting used despite its cost and learning curve overhead. As with GTD, I have to believe there is a better way to manage multiple projects and resources.

J

jamie007

Web-based GTD project management solution

We have a new "soon to be launched", web-based GTD project management product, you can view details at: propelr.com

It takes GTD principles and applies them to project management on an individual or team basis. Head over to propelr.com to register interest.

We anticipate a launch early 2007.

K

KRushArcht

Hello,
We're looking for a software solution to be able to track Projects, their tasks and sub-tasks in collaboration with others in our small business (Architecture Firm).

The Operating System:
- We use Microsoft Small Business Exchange Server with Outlook and Verizon Pocket PC XV6700 cellphone with data/intranet service syncing to the Server.

The Basics:
- Ideally, each desktop (and related PocketPC Cellphone) would be able to view all active Projects and their Tasks and sub-Tasks information. Tasks and Sub-Tasks need to be assigned to an Individual and to a Reviewer. Priority Level and Progress needs to be updated for each task and sub-task from each desktop. Each desktop needs to be able to add Tasks (Issues), and Sub-Tasks as the Project progresses.

Any suggestions would be appreaciated.

Can the GTD Outlook Add-In software be set up to function like this?

Other software?

Thank You,

pmhut

Registered
Fast forward 2 years from the start of this thread. I think right now that the online Project Management Software has matured and can really do what you want. I do not advocate for a certain software or application, but online PM Software does have the great advantage of collaboration.

Check the Web-Enabled Project Management software in this article,
Project Management Software Systems and Tools for a complete list of the advantages of online Project Management tools (That article was written almost 4 years ago btw, and the only thing I would change is to stress more the importance of collaboration).

thr61

Registered
I am the original poster on this thread and agree that there must be some developments since my initial question. We are currently using a variety of tools: quickbase, basecamp, harvest (time tracking) and excel for PM related tasks. I do not like the cost or the lack of integration. If basecamp could be expanded to manage resource planning and real scheduling, it would be ideal.

What are other folks using?

pmhut

Registered
It's amazing how this post got revived after 2 years.

Frankly I cannot give you a recommendation about online Project Management tool (I'm remaining neutral on this as I run PM Hut). I am noticing though that a lot of heavy weight names are now tackling this market, including Microsoft and Oracle. There was a period also (a few months ago) where nearly every week I heard about 2-3 new online Project Management tools.

Again, collaboration is the key, and it seems that everything is now in AJAX for such applications (which makes the whole thing sweeter).