• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Project or Not

Okay this might seem like a stupid question but what the heck.

I quite often receive an email asking me a question. The answer is quite simple but I often need clarification so I reply immediately (2 minute rule) with a question of my own.

How do I record this in GTD? Technically it’s a project but that seems like overkill.
 
My default would be no project as there is no commitment on my part. I might add a note to their agenda list so that I can mention it next time we are talking.

Of course, if getting them the information is important to me then it becomes a project.
 
Hi Stephen,

I run into this all the time as I get requests and need either information from factories/vendors or need additional clarification from the person sending. What I do is draft a response in my email (so that the original request is in the email thread) and when I respond back I bcc my inbox email for my GTD system as it can receive emails and log them into the system. I add some notes about what I am waiting for and put it on my waiting list with the title matching my final action.

So for example just this morning I received a request to price up some mechanical equipment for a jobsite. My Next Action is to Submit Budget (I do not need a project as this is just 2 pieces of equipment so a simple budget). However, I am waiting for the factory to get back to me. I emailed the factory with a narrative of the request and bcc'd my system. When I clarify I change the title to Submit Budget for Mechanical Equipment for Project X. I mark it as waiting for and I create a tag for 3rd Party (so I dont have to have every vendor in my GTD system). I scan my waiting for list 2x a day so I will constantly be mindful of it. I have a notes section and I logged when I sent the request and when it is due.

When I receive the quote back, I can move this into my Next Actions, work on it, and complete the next action.
 
How do I record this in GTD? Technically it’s a project but that seems like overkill.
I don't see it as a project yet. Unless you're going to get back to him saying, "I need your answer to my question so I can answer your question," I'd say that the ball is in his court, and you can wait for him to re-activate the issue. Now, if you need an answer from Fred so you can answer Joe's question, that's different.
 
Okay this might seem like a stupid question but what the heck.

I quite often receive an email asking me a question. The answer is quite simple but I often need clarification so I reply immediately (2 minute rule) with a question of my own.

How do I record this in GTD? Technically it’s a project but that seems like overkill.
The stupidest question in the one that is not asked :)
Stephen; It really depends on the circumstances. For example, let's say it's an email from a sales prospect. I'd answer it right away AND mark my sent email for follow-up. Otherwise, its a 'done deal' when you answer the question with a question. Either way, it does not meet the definition of a project.
 
I quite often receive an email asking me a question. The answer is quite simple but I often need clarification so I reply immediately (2 minute rule) with a question of my own.

How do I record this in GTD? Technically it’s a project but that seems like overkill.
It depends. For things that are somewhat outside my normal work I just ask my question back and leve it at that. If it's important to them I'll hear form them again with an answer and can dealw ith it again.

If I feel I will need to remember the thoughts I and, why I needed my questioned answered or that it might become a bigger issue for me depending on their answer back I may go ahead and make it a project. In any case I will make my notes and put them in my action support file and hopefully remember that I made notes if/when they ever get back to me.

If I know that it will eventually come back to me with a need to track it I'll make it a project right then and there. I will probably just add a waiting for action on it.
 
I agree with @RuthMcT unless, as Oogie said, you know this is a project, you know the next action(s), and you can start using the natural planning model to break it down somewhat.
 
Top