Project or Not

Stephen Brown

Registered
Okay this might seem like a stupid question but what the heck.

I quite often receive an email asking me a question. The answer is quite simple but I often need clarification so I reply immediately (2 minute rule) with a question of my own.

How do I record this in GTD? Technically it’s a project but that seems like overkill.

cfoley

Registered
My default would be no project as there is no commitment on my part. I might add a note to their agenda list so that I can mention it next time we are talking.

Of course, if getting them the information is important to me then it becomes a project.

ivanjay205

Registered
Hi Stephen,

I run into this all the time as I get requests and need either information from factories/vendors or need additional clarification from the person sending. What I do is draft a response in my email (so that the original request is in the email thread) and when I respond back I bcc my inbox email for my GTD system as it can receive emails and log them into the system. I add some notes about what I am waiting for and put it on my waiting list with the title matching my final action.

So for example just this morning I received a request to price up some mechanical equipment for a jobsite. My Next Action is to Submit Budget (I do not need a project as this is just 2 pieces of equipment so a simple budget). However, I am waiting for the factory to get back to me. I emailed the factory with a narrative of the request and bcc'd my system. When I clarify I change the title to Submit Budget for Mechanical Equipment for Project X. I mark it as waiting for and I create a tag for 3rd Party (so I dont have to have every vendor in my GTD system). I scan my waiting for list 2x a day so I will constantly be mindful of it. I have a notes section and I logged when I sent the request and when it is due.

When I receive the quote back, I can move this into my Next Actions, work on it, and complete the next action.

Gardener

Registered
How do I record this in GTD? Technically it’s a project but that seems like overkill.
I don't see it as a project yet. Unless you're going to get back to him saying, "I need your answer to my question so I can answer your question," I'd say that the ball is in his court, and you can wait for him to re-activate the issue. Now, if you need an answer from Fred so you can answer Joe's question, that's different.

John Ismyname

Registered
Okay this might seem like a stupid question but what the heck.

I quite often receive an email asking me a question. The answer is quite simple but I often need clarification so I reply immediately (2 minute rule) with a question of my own.

The stupidest question in the one that is not asked :)
Stephen; It really depends on the circumstances. For example, let's say it's an email from a sales prospect. I'd answer it right away AND mark my sent email for follow-up. Otherwise, its a 'done deal' when you answer the question with a question. Either way, it does not meet the definition of a project.

Oogiem

Registered

It depends. For things that are somewhat outside my normal work I just ask my question back and leve it at that. If it's important to them I'll hear form them again with an answer and can dealw ith it again.

If I feel I will need to remember the thoughts I and, why I needed my questioned answered or that it might become a bigger issue for me depending on their answer back I may go ahead and make it a project. In any case I will make my notes and put them in my action support file and hopefully remember that I made notes if/when they ever get back to me.

If I know that it will eventually come back to me with a need to track it I'll make it a project right then and there. I will probably just add a waiting for action on it.

OF user

Registered
I agree with @RuthMcT unless, as Oogie said, you know this is a project, you know the next action(s), and you can start using the natural planning model to break it down somewhat.