• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Project Sheets vs. Project Lists

I'm reworking my system. I was using Outlook but am switching to Paper. (I won't go into why now.)

I've been thinking about Projects and Someday/Maybes.

One gem I've gleaned from GTD Fast is that you may want more than one someday/maybe list. For example, I'd like a "Dream" someday/maybe list and a "Deferred" someday/maybe list.

That way, my "project" list is truly limited to active projects.
My Someday/Maybe list are truly projects I may want to make active.
My "Dream" list are projects I like to think about, but won't do anytime soon, such as "Buy an RV and tour the country".

I don't really want to review my "dream" list weekly. Just every couple of months.

But on to my real point...

I thinking that rather than having a list of active projects, I'll keep each project on a separate sheet in my planner. For now, that sheet will just be a lined sheet of paper, but I can scrawl on it objectives, brainstorming notes, etc. This doesn't replace a project folder and I don't mean to use this sheet to keep project notes, just items that clarify a successful outcome and maybe links to related projects, or instantly obvious next actions.

In a digital system, I kept this kind of thing on a note attached to the project list item. But in a paper system, I'd have to keep it in a separate locationl.

During a weekly review, I can quickly review the single sheets. But even better, I can decide a project is deferred and move it to the someday/maybe section of my planner--with all my "thinking" appropriately captured. When it is ready to move back, I don't have to cross it off my someday/maybe and re-write it, I just move the sheet.

Just wanted to share this "aha" idea.

--Karen
 
Top