• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Question about contexts

I am sure this is in the forum SOMEWHERE (will gratefully accept links) -- but haven't contexts become somewhat meaningless now that the most common contexts -- such as @phone, @computer, @office -- can be ANYWHERE?

If so, how does one define/limit/control the soft edges of contexts in order to propel next actions?
 
Vilmosz said:
I am sure this is in the forum SOMEWHERE (will gratefully accept links) -- but haven't contexts become somewhat meaningless now that the most common contexts -- such as @phone, @computer, @office -- can be ANYWHERE?

I certainly hope my doctor isn't willing to call me from Starbucks to discuss my test results.

That's an extreme example, but if you look at your own work you will probably see that you don't actually want to do everything anywhere. Some tasks require a certain level of concentration, best achieved sitting in your favorite chair with your feet up. Some phone calls can be made anywhere, but for some you really want to have the headset phone at your desk, reasonable quiet, and a particular file open on your computer. And so forth. What contexts are relevant to you?

Katherine
 
Actions need to be actions

Defining contexts has another underestimated function: keeping your actions "real". When you stop defining them, soon you will discover items in your list such as "Handle mother-in-law"...

I always make sure my actions are very "real", I don't want to stop even for a moment to consider how to do them or when to check them as done. DA warns us against compromising on this on a recent podcast, when discussing about the need for contexts. It is a superb interview.
 
What contexts are relevant to you?

Looking back over the past 8 years of using this information, I must admit:

Your contexts change through time...

Currently I have:

Agendas
Anywhere
Calls
Computer
Errands
Home
Waiting for
Websites to visit

I find that that about handles all the current stuff I've got going these days.
 
Top