Question from listening to: GTD and Priorities - Teleseminar

djohns

Registered
David, With regards to making the big picture mind maps, if I heard correctly the idea would be to make a mind map with (me) in the center and four branches coming out from it entitled
  1. Main Attention
  2. This Week
  3. Horizons
  4. Occupation
My question is what do you do with items on this mind map as they are completed? I would think this mind map would become cluttered with completed projects rather quickly. It would take longer to check in on this mind map if you are having to sort through items that are complete. Do you delete the completed item, move it to another branch or what?

mydifferentfeet

Registered
My World in Mind Manager

I remember hearing David talking about "David's World" mind map in Mind Manager also. Maybe it was in the same tele-seminar you are mentioning. For about 4 months now, I have been using a "My World" mind map in Mind Manager as I understand David to describe how he set his up, with some differences I am sure. I have attached a pdf of the latest version of the mind map. (note: you will notice it says DA's World. I just happen to share the same initials as David).

In answer to your specific question about how to deal with completed items in the map, I also had this problem, but recently made a change to how I work with the map that has worked out. During my weekly review I move the ending week from the "This Week" topic to the "Past Weeks" topic, but copy over the basic sub-topics, which roughly line up with my areas of focus, to the "This Week" topic, along with any uncompleted items, whether they be next actions or projects. This will make a little more sense with you look at the pdf I think.

I use my "DA's World" mind map as my control base and weekly guide for managing my most immediate projects, next actions and also keeping my horizons of focus maps handy for occasional quick reviews, which happen as often as weekly to no more then at three week intervals. I usually have this mind map open through-out the day, and might refer to it three or four times in a day. You will notice the mind map is not super detailed. That's because I keep the detail in other places.

In addition to Mind Manager, some of the other tech tools I use to manage my world are the GTD Outlook plug in, Excel, Word, Active Words, Treo680 w-KeySuite and Jott...when it works. I also use the Note Taker Wallet for capturing things when I am not at my computer, or can't use my Treo. I heavily leverage the GTD Outlook plug-in to manage my projects and next actions, and Excel and Word to capture various ideas/list items that don't have specific time element. I call these parking lots, and they include things like favorite restaurants, funny words my 4 year old says, quality time ideas with my wife and kids, books to read, movies to watch, etc. I also am in love with ActiveWords, because it makes access to just about everything I have mentioned above lightening fast, which means I capture things more willingly.

But in the end, everything rolls back to the "DA's World" mind map to help keep me grounded in the moment, and the better I get at the Weekly Review the more valuable this map is becoming.

Hope this helps, and would love to hear how others are using the "My World" map concept.

Attached files image_211.pdf (27.1 KB)