• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Questions about processing

  • Thread starter Thread starter JDC
  • Start date Start date
J

JDC

Guest
I've just started to implement GTD and I have a couple of questions:

1) What do I do about things that can be accomplished in more than one way? For example: I need a black t-shirt. I could:
A) order one on-line (goes on computer list)
B) order one from a catalog (goes on at home list)
C) pick one up at the GAP (goes on errands list)

Should I put it on all three lists?

2) What do I do about support material for projects that aren't active projects? For example: I read a review of a book that I definitely want to read when I start actively working on a specific project. However, I don't think I'll be actively working on it for another 6 months. How do I track that. Clearly the project should be listed with the Someday/maybe stuff, but what about all the information and ideas that I have about it in the interim?

Thanks,

JDC
 
JDC said:
I've just started to implement GTD and I have a couple of questions:

1) What do I do about things that can be accomplished in more than one way? For example: I need a black t-shirt. I could:
A) order one on-line (goes on computer list)
B) order one from a catalog (goes on at home list)
C) pick one up at the GAP (goes on errands list)

Should I put it on all three lists?

Either (a) decide where to get the t-shirt and put it on the appropriate list or (b) decide that you don't care and put it on all three lists or (c) create a "clothing to buy list" and refer to it whenever you have the time and resources to go shopping.

JDC said:
2) What do I do about support material for projects that aren't active projects? For example: I read a review of a book that I definitely want to read when I start actively working on a specific project. However, I don't think I'll be actively working on it for another 6 months. How do I track that. Clearly the project should be listed with the Someday/maybe stuff, but what about all the information and ideas that I have about it in the interim?

Put the information either in notes to the Someday/Maybe item or in your tickler file.

Katherine
 
Questions about processing

Either (a) decide where to get the t-shirt and put it on the appropriate list or (b) decide that you don't care and put it on all three lists or (c) create a "clothing to buy list" and refer to it whenever you have the time and resources to go shopping.

Thank you Katherine. I think a "clothes to buy" list is the way to go with this one.

Put the information either in notes to the Someday/Maybe item or in your tickler file.

Hmmm, there is potentially alot of stuff like this for this particular project. Notes in the Someday / Maybe folder could get pretty cluttered.

The tickler file doesn't seem quite right either. I'm guessing that it will be 6 months before it's an active project, but it depends on how long it takes me to finish another project.

I think that I'm going to create a folder for the project and put the book review in it. As I come across other things that might be useful, I'll drop those in, too.

JDC
 
JDC said:
I think that I'm going to create a folder for the project and put the book review in it. As I come across other things that might be useful, I'll drop those in, too.

JDC

That's exactly what I do. I have a Someday/Maybe folder for single-item things: a note about a seminar, a picture of a lamp I might want to buy, an info pamphlet for a landscaping service, etc. But as each of those things become more concrete, they get individual someday/maybe folders. For example, the pamphlet from a landscaping service was later joined by a couple of others; then it got its own SD/M folder called "hire landscaping service." Haven't actually decided that it's time to hire one, but when I'm ready to, info about such services is already consolidated.
 
Top