questions on getting "Things 3" set up: How to reference, Pictures in inbox, Guides

Hi guys, For now I am getting started on Things 3 set up. I am an old-timer and will tend to use relatively strict GTD methodology for setting it up. While I am still getting under the hood and am confident, I can get it set up, the only thing which I havent cracked is how to elegantly do "Reference". My reference system can as such be Evernote, Joplin, Onenote. It doesnt really matter, but I really like to have a way of quickly getting from my GTD system, in this case Things, to view the reference that I have for each project. How do you do that?

Another thing I have noticed, is that I really like to use pictures as inbox items, e.g. I will capture a picture or a screenshot or something that I wish to check on later and to simply drop it in the inbox. But as far as I can see, there is no picture support for Things.

Anyone have good ideas on how to crack this.

Has any found "The great guide" on how to set up Things? Is it the GTD Guide, Peter Akkies, or another youtube? Hit me.

Hi @Jakob Abrahamsen, If you tend to use a relatively strict GTD methodology then I don't think Peter Akkies will be very helpful. He doesn't really practise GTD. I would stick with the GTD setup guide for a very nice, strict, flat lists only setup of GTD. If you want to add organization by project, Johnny Chadda has an excellent explanation here: https://johnny.chadda.se/getting-things-done-with-things-3/

Dmitry Kultaev

Registered
Hi guys, For now I am getting started on Things 3 set up. I am an old-timer and will tend to use relatively strict GTD methodology for setting it up. While I am still getting under the hood and am confident, I can get it set up, the only thing which I havent cracked is how to elegantly do "Reference". My reference system can as such be Evernote, Joplin, Onenote. It doesnt really matter, but I really like to have a way of quickly getting from my GTD system, in this case Things, to view the reference that I have for each project. How do you do that?

Another thing I have noticed, is that I really like to use pictures as inbox items, e.g. I will capture a picture or a screenshot or something that I wish to check on later and to simply drop it in the inbox. But as far as I can see, there is no picture support for Things.

Anyone have good ideas on how to crack this.

Has any found "The great guide" on how to set up Things? Is it the GTD Guide, Peter Akkies, or another youtube? Hit me.
I did not find any better solution for pictures than:
- Capture on smartphone camera
- Have camera roll as part of weekly review IN baskets Get Current step

Sometimes in addition to taking a picture of I have time I put a note to Things Inbox list mentioning short detail and saying picture in camera roll at date d/m

Later if I need the picture as reference for To Do or a Project I simply move file to respective PROJECT or ACTION SUPPORT Dropbox folder and add a link to it in things notes section during Weekly Review.

Not ideal solution, but works for me given I like simplicity of Things app vs other more feature rich competitors. I tried apps having possibility to add pictures / attachments to tasks but found overall more barrier to use them vs Things.

Last edited:

mcogilvie

Registered
Perhaps the easiest approach is to share the photo to Mail, and send it to your Things Inbox. The photo will be stripped, but there will be a link to the sent email containing the photo.

Another approach is to get the photo into an app like Bear. Get the link to the note containing the photo, and paste it into Things. Very likely part or all can be automated.

Dmitry Kultaev

Registered
Perhaps the easiest approach is to share the photo to Mail, and send it to your Things Inbox. The photo will be stripped, but there will be a link to the sent email containing the photo.

Another approach is to get the photo into an app like Bear. Get the link to the note containing the photo, and paste it into Things. Very likely part or all can be automated.
On iPhone with iCloud Photo Library enabled photo link itself can be sent to Things pointing to the file directly in the photo library though in terms of number of steps it’s a bit „complex“ flow - more than 1 step :)