Reading GTD Journal on the Kindle

darlakbrown

Registered
I sent the PDF version of the most recent GTD Journal to my Kindle. (Tip for Kindlers: yes, you can send any document to your kindle by setting up your kindle email address at Amazon. It costs .10/doc I believe.) I just read the Journal on my Kindle on the treadmill. This worked out pretty well however the transfer to the Kindle lost some of the PDF formatting, which caused some of the pages to not be sequential.

My compliments to all the contributors in this edition. I found a bit of gold in almost every article. I especially benefited from @apinaud's The Weekly Review Booklet. What a great suggestion. Having a page for each step makes a lot of sense. It physically causes you to focus on that next step.

Since I'm mostly digital, I set-up my Weekly Review as its own Project in OmniFocus. Each step in the review is a next action, which I check off as I go along. My first action is "copy Weekly Review Project" (for the next week), my second action is "Start Music Playing" (because it helps me stay focused.) I open the project in its own window (aka Perspective) and this has been working quite well for me for the past month.

However, I do like the idea of a binder/workbook that @apinaud uses as well and will augment my current system to include some of your suggestions. I am digital for most of my GTD system because I work in technology and my actions move too fast to capture them on paper. But I find that augmenting with paper gives me (and my eyes) a nice break and enhances my creativity. I like the idea of a physical item (the WR workbook or binder) to enhance my WR.

Thanks for the great article!

Barb

Registered
It costs .10/doc I believe.) I just read the Journal on my Kindle on the treadmill. This worked out pretty well however the transfer to the Kindle lost some of the PDF formatting, which caused some of the pages to not be sequential.

My compliments to all the contributors in this edition. I found a bit of gold in almost every article. I especially benefited from @apinaud's The Weekly Review Booklet. What a great suggestion. Having a page for each step makes a lot of sense. It physically causes you to focus on that next step.

Since I'm mostly digital, I set-up my Weekly Review as its own Project in OmniFocus. Each step in the review is a next action, which I check off as I go along. My first action is "copy Weekly Review Project" (for the next week), my second action is "Start Music Playing" (because it helps me stay focused.) I open the project in its own window (aka Perspective) and this has been working quite well for me for the past month.

However, I do like the idea of a binder/workbook that @apinaud uses as well and will augment my current system to include some of your suggestions. I am digital for most of my GTD system because I work in technology and my actions move too fast to capture them on paper. But I find that augmenting with paper gives me (and my eyes) a nice break and enhances my creativity. I like the idea of a physical item (the WR workbook or binder) to enhance my WR.

Thanks for the great article![/QUOTE]

Barb

Registered
I'm a "Kindler" too...big time. I've been using mine for right at a year now and have never been charged the 10 cent fee to convert a pdf to Kindle format! I think Amazon has that policy just in case they want to start charging, but they never have.

I agree with you on Augusto's weekly review booklet...and for all the same reasons! I printed out my checklists and put them right there in the book. While I'm 100% electronic, I usually omitted the checklist phase because things don't change that much. But I found doing this inspired me to create NEW checklists. For example, I made a list of all of our favorite dinners and where to find the recipes! Planning meals will be SO much easier for me now. (I really hate doing that)

I also expanded my notebook to include MindMaps of projects I'm currently working on as well as other key documents I seem to refer to a lot.

I've got a whole tabbed section on the weekly review, thanks to Augusto, and found it made a BIG difference in how focused I am during the weekly review.

And I did something that will guarantee I'll actually keep this on my desk and use it in some way daily: I bought a sexy leather Circa cover (love Circa) from Levenger. I keep room up front to act as "capture" while I'm working throughout the day.

My contexts lists and calendar are still electronic and I have no plans to change them, but I do like the idea of a blend of paper and computer. And sometimes things just look different in hard copy than they do on the screen...and maybe even repel me a bit less.

apinaud

Registered
Dear Darla and Barb,

Thanks a lot for your kind comments, I am glad I was able to help and give something back.

best,

Augusto

Oogiem

Registered
darlakbrown;63865 said:
I sent the PDF version of the most recent GTD Journal to my Kindle. (Tip for Kindlers: yes, you can send any document to your kindle by setting up your kindle email address at Amazon. It costs .10/doc I believe.)

You can also send them for a free conversion that takes a bit longer by sending stuff to your email name@free.kindle.com and it comes back to your regular e-mail as a link to get it to your computer and you can put it on the kindle via USB.

I really liked the weekly checklist article too.

I'm adding my weekly checklist as a project under LifeBalance set to occur weekly and have the items to be done in order. It started out as just empty inboxes, review project, review calendar and dream but is now quit e a bit longer.

Oogiem

Registered
Barb;63870 said:
II made a list of all of our favorite dinners and where to find the recipes! Planning meals will be SO much easier for me now. (I really hate doing that)

I used to hate figuring out what to cook for dinner each night too. I made 3x5 cards not with the recipe per se but with the list of ingredients and the location of the recipe. As part of my weekly review I go through my cards and pull out 8 meals for dinner. 7 normal and at least one no-brainer quick meal. I mix up what the meat is based on what we have a lot of and veges based on what's in season now. I make sure I have all the ingredients or if not note them on my SplashShopper list for the next time I'm at the store and pick something else for the week unless I know we'll get to the store soon. I don't figure out what to cook each day but just what I'll cook that week. It's somewhat defined by what we have to do that week so pulling cards after I've checked my calendar makes sense. I try to thaw the meat out in advance for the week but I also have ways to go from frozen whatever to dinner in less than an hour.

This works great for most of the year. During lambing it's not so great but that's because I'm not in control of my schedule then, the sheep are.

Barb

Registered
Oogiem;63879 said:
I used to hate figuring out what to cook for dinner each night too. I made 3x5 cards not with the recipe per se but with the list of ingredients and the location of the recipe. As part of my weekly review I go through my cards and pull out 8 meals for dinner. 7 normal and at least one no-brainer quick meal. I mix up what the meat is based on what we have a lot of and veges based on what's in season now. I make sure I have all the ingredients or if not note them on my SplashShopper list for the next time I'm at the store and pick something else for the week unless I know we'll get to the store soon. I don't figure out what to cook each day but just what I'll cook that week. It's somewhat defined by what we have to do that week so pulling cards after I've checked my calendar makes sense. I try to thaw the meat out in advance for the week but I also have ways to go from frozen whatever to dinner in less than an hour.

This works great for most of the year. During lambing it's not so great but that's because I'm not in control of my schedule then, the sheep are.

I like the idea of the 3x5 cards with ingredients on it. I won't make it part of my weekly review, though. I'd probably NEVER do one if I knew I had to plan meals during that time!!