Really good at collecting...getting better at processing

ataylor

Registered
Now I am trying to tackle the contexts. I know a lot has been written about them...but I am still having a tough time getting my arms around them.

Here are my contexts.

@work
@home
@coaching...I coach several youth teams

then there is the projects list
someday/maybe....

The best thing so far is having everything in one place and utilizing the 2 minute criteria. It is the longer items that I am having a hard time sorting out and how to put next action steps to them.

Jamie Elis

Registered
use what works for you and your team and their families or associates

Coaching is A pretty complex service to deliver, depending n the venue and purpose, unless you have people who do all the organizing reliably.

I suspect that coaching would lend itself well to check lists for equipment, permits, schedules, forms, etc. Also, contexts for email and errands would be useful. Maybe you are free not to have to do things like this. If so, lucky you!

I was on a team once with two coaches. One was an IT guy by day and he had all sorts of charts and forms and time-lines that he printed off and distirubuted and it was really helpful. No piece of information was ever left to chance. When we had to meet at a new place, you even knew what door to enter and the names of security guards so we could greet them by name, if there were vending machines, etc. This was before internet. We all knew exactly where, what and when and why. The other guy was good at building rapport and inspiring people, delegating and following up. Everyone loved this team and even our rivals came to our parties because they took place at fun and interesting places and many defected to us! No one was a control freak...the planning and dissemination of information enabled us to do everything more efficiently, so more time could be spent having fun.The IT guy had two boards for us to write questions or comments on, one was stuff that had to be answered that day. At the end of the practice we would gather around and he would answer those. The other was for stuff that could wait. He would type these up with the answer and hand them out at the next practice. Anything written had a date on it and if it was a change it said SUPERCEDES INFO from ____(DATE). GTD didn't exist then as we know it, but I bet he was following the principles.

Kourosh

Registered
Defining contexts

I'd agree with Jamie - "coaching" seems pretty broad. Then again, maybe you are using it as an "agenda" type list. Designing contexts seems to be a continually practiced skill.

As I attempt to do a task, if it cannot be done as is, sometimes I realize it requires an adjustment of context. In this case, I look for "a tool, person, or place without which I cannot do this task" as the context.

- Kourosh

jrdouce

Registered
To us bystanders, "Coaching" sounds more like a project than a context. Just to clarify:

Are you using is in as a list of action that canneed to be done when with your team? For example, "Pass out printed material" or "Demonstrate Skills Drills" would be actions appropriate for an "@Coaching" context.

Or is it a collection of activities pertaining to your team? "Email Schedule" or "Print Drills Handouts" are actions that are part of a Coaching project, but might be more appropriate actions on your @Computer list.

Many electronic list managers allow tagging, which can be a huge help. You can tag activities in many lists with "#Coaching", then you can view all tasks associated with coaching, regardless of the list they are in.

The list, or context, is supposed to represent a limitation on a Place or Tool you need to behave to accomplish the tasks. Bottom line, though, is if it works for you, it works; but I find taking a consistent approach across lists helps in the long run.