Renaming Areas of Focus for my "Possessions"

ivanjay205

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am trying to break up my areas of focus at my house. So I have one for Home. But I really want this to be for maintaining my home only. Projects, routines, etc. Where do I place tuning the piano in my house? Oil change for the car? I have an Area of Focus for "Assets" but I really hate the name and never think to go there. So how do you handle those things?

Reactions: RJA

dtj

Registered
Where the action doesn't warrant an encapsulating project, create an @Errands project or tags. I have some higher level projects like @Construction where I dump things relating to what I wanna do to the house, but have @Errands for the one off, or even recurring things like oil changes.

ivanjay205

Registered
Where the action doesn't warrant an encapsulating project, create an @Errands project or tags. I have some higher level projects like @Construction where I dump things relating to what I wanna do to the house, but have @Errands for the one off, or even recurring things like oil changes.
For contexts I have that well covered. This was more for areas of focus. Trying to distinguish taking care of my house to every thing else

cfoley

Registered
I don't aim for a complete taxonomy with my areas of focus. Instead, things end up there because they are on my mind.

Cats, car, house and music are some of my areas of focus, and it is useful to think of them when I am am reviewing.

Laundry is not on my areas of focus. Sure, I need to do the laundry frequently, but it's not on my mind and the universe will remind me if I leave it too long. If I included it as an area of focus the list might be more complete but less useful.

If I were to put your examples in my system, car would be an area of focus. It would cover all the maintenance, insurance, licences etc. For changing the oil, I would create a tickler shortly before the next change whenever it was due.

Similarly, I might have piano as an area of focus to cover practice, and maintenance. I would create a tickler "Is it time to time to have the piano tuned?" I like this language for ticklers. It reminds me of my agency and forces me to consider the tickler in the context of the rest of my life.

RomanS

Registered
My AOF are:
  • Administration
  • Infrastructure
  • Relationships
  • Job
  • Personal
Every AOF is subdivided in (only) one more level, e. g. Infrastructure into:
  • House
  • Movables
  • ICT
  • Instruments (tuning the piano)
  • Car (Oil change)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to break up my areas of focus at my house. So I have one for Home. But I really want this to be for maintaining my home only. Projects, routines, etc. Where do I place tuning the piano in my house? Oil change for the car? I have an Area of Focus for "Assets" but I really hate the name and never think to go there. So how do you handle those things?
Hi. My Area of Focus for home is as attached (from my As of F mind map)

Attachments

• As of F_home.png
    As of F_home.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 14
tuning the piano in my house? Oil change for the car?
I would call these projects. I don't try to tie every project to an area of focus (or sub-area), tempting though that idea is! I think Areas of Focus are better used as prompt (trigger) lists - is anything in this broad area on my mind?