repeating tasks

Maximilian

Registered
How do you handle repeating tasks?

Example: I would like to repeat every day the vocabulary for a specific language with.
- Would you write the task every day into a list?
- Would you write the task into the calendar (I think it's critical, because in the calendar should be written only fixed dates, and if I would skip repeating vocabulary one day, it wouldn't have any outer consequence, like skipping a conference)?
- Would you write it nowhere, because it's more like a routine, like tooth brushing (but the task would be then again always in my head, what's no the sense of gtd)?
- Other ideas?

Thanks a lot.

cfoley

Registered
If it will happen at a specific time then I put it on my calendar.

If I just want a reminder every morning then it goes in my tickler.

Maximilian

Registered
If it will happen at a specific time then I put it on my calendar.

If I just want a reminder every morning then it goes in my tickler.
What do you mean with tickler?
I’m not a native English speaker, so I mainly know only the German GTD vocabulary

cfoley

Registered
The GTD book explains the "Tickler File". I don't know what it is called in German but when processing the inbox, if you want to defer a decision, you can put it in the tickler file to be reminded about it on a day of your choosing.

The book explains how to make a tickler file from a number of folders but most software list managers have features that can be used as a tickler.

Traikerr

Registered
I prefer to use digital tools. First, I write down my tasks in Trello, and then I monitor my activity with work time. The reports help to monitor my productivity during the day. I think It's crucial to write everything down, as it's impossible to remember it all.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
What do you mean with tickler?
I’m not a native English speaker, so I mainly know only the German GTD vocabulary
Hi Maximilian,

The Tickler is also referred to as perpetual file, bring-forward file, follow-up file, carry-forward file, or suspense file. Here is a PDF that describes what it is, how to create a physical version, ways to use it, and an image of what it looks like.

Attachments

• Tickler-File-.pdf
    592.4 KB · Views: 28