• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

repeating tasks

Maximilian

Registered
How do you handle repeating tasks?

Example: I would like to repeat every day the vocabulary for a specific language with.
- Would you write the task every day into a list?
- Would you write the task into the calendar (I think it's critical, because in the calendar should be written only fixed dates, and if I would skip repeating vocabulary one day, it wouldn't have any outer consequence, like skipping a conference)?
- Would you write it nowhere, because it's more like a routine, like tooth brushing (but the task would be then again always in my head, what's no the sense of gtd)?
- Other ideas?

Thanks a lot.
 
If it will happen at a specific time then I put it on my calendar.

If I just want a reminder every morning then it goes in my tickler.
 
If it will happen at a specific time then I put it on my calendar.

If I just want a reminder every morning then it goes in my tickler.
What do you mean with tickler?
I’m not a native English speaker, so I mainly know only the German GTD vocabulary
 
The GTD book explains the "Tickler File". I don't know what it is called in German but when processing the inbox, if you want to defer a decision, you can put it in the tickler file to be reminded about it on a day of your choosing.

The book explains how to make a tickler file from a number of folders but most software list managers have features that can be used as a tickler.
 
I prefer to use digital tools. First, I write down my tasks in Trello, and then I monitor my activity with work time. The reports help to monitor my productivity during the day. I think It's crucial to write everything down, as it's impossible to remember it all.
 
What do you mean with tickler?
I’m not a native English speaker, so I mainly know only the German GTD vocabulary
Hi Maximilian,

The Tickler is also referred to as perpetual file, bring-forward file, follow-up file, carry-forward file, or suspense file. Here is a PDF that describes what it is, how to create a physical version, ways to use it, and an image of what it looks like.
 

Attachments

Top