Road Warrior gear

A

awebber

For those of you who are road warriors, either doing a lot of traveling for work or working a lot when you travel, what are the things you won't leave home without, beyound the obvious?

I know for me, beyond the obvious of the laptop, Palm, and phone set of items, the things I wouldn't leave with out include a Nalgene bottle for water, Shout Wipes, energy bars (I like Clif Bars), and a small medicinal case including Pepto Bismal tablets and Asprin.

What are the critical items on your travel packing list?

Alan

S

scottr

re: Road Warrior Gear

One of my key items is a set of heavy plastic folders (similar to manila tri-tab folders). I use five folders:

In - my inbox for paper items
Data Entry - phone numbers, expense receipts, etc to be entered on my Palm or laptop
Processed/File - to be filed at office or home
Action Support - general paper items that I like to have handy
Read/Review - to be read

I can't take credit for this setup - it was in one of DA's tips. I keep these in my laptop bag or on my desk all the time. That way I have what I need always at hand - at the office, on the road or telecommuting.

M

mconnick

Re: Road Warrior gear

awebber said:
For those of you who are road warriors, either doing a lot of traveling for work or working a lot when you travel, what are the things you won't leave home without, beyound the obvious?

I know for me, beyond the obvious of the laptop, Palm, and phone set of items, the things I wouldn't leave with out include a Nalgene bottle for water, Shout Wipes, energy bars (I like Clif Bars), and a small medicinal case including Pepto Bismal tablets and Asprin.

What are the critical items on your travel packing list?

Alan
I've combined the laptop, Palm, and phone units by carrying a Treo 600. Along with my Treo I carry a small Rhino Skin RhinoPak 4000 case with the following items:

Handspring Treo 600 Keyboard: This provides me with a full-sized keyboard on which I can touch type for heavy data input tasks.

Seido Emergency Charger: I carry an adaptor for the Seido Emergency Charger that lets me use it to charge my Treo 600 from car cigarette lighters or 9 volt batteries.

Seido USB Sync/Charge Cable: This is something that comes along just in case of emergency! I also carry a Treo 600 Installation CD-ROM, which would allow me to install HotSync on any PC. Along with the Sync Cable, this would allow me to transfer files to and from the PC, and even get easy access to printing, if needed.

Treo Stereo Headphone Adapter: This allows me to use stereo headphones with my Treo 600 to listen to MP3 files, Audible books, or Kinoma videos.

Sony Earbuds: These I use with the Stereo Adapter when flying or traveling by train. I usually either listen to an Audible book or watch a video on my Treo to help pass the time while traveling.

Michael Connick
The Connected PDA - http://radio.weblogs.com/0124865
The Connected PDA Treo 600 Moblog - http://mconnick.textamerica.com

C

ChrisSweetland

Hey MConnick:

Sounds like you are an inspired user of the Treo600. I am inches away from deciding not to upgrade to the Treo from my Tungsten T3 because of the things (minor but convenient) that people who have upgraded from the T3 now don't have (see Brighthand Discussion Forums for Treo 600).

Can you tell me why the Treo is such a valuable part of your tools kit?

Thanks,

Chris

M

mconnick

ChrisSweetland said:
Hey MConnick:

Can you tell me why the Treo is such a valuable part of your tools kit?
It acts as a laptop replacement (when used with the Handspring External Keyboard for heavy data entry), phone, entertainment device (videos, audio books, and music) and provides me with ubiquitous connectivity. I can literally get email and surf the Web anywhere. I actually moved from a WiFi-equipped Pocket PC to the Treo because although WiFi is faster, I was constantly looking for Hotspots (which just aren't all that common, yet) before I could "get connected". In my mind, ubiquitous connectivity is far more valuable to me than very high-speed connectivity. The SprintPCS data network offers quite reasonable speed anyway, ranging from about 56Kbps to 120Kbps depending on signal strength. For my needs that's fast enough, especially when considering that it's available everywhere!

Michael Connick
The Connected PDA - http://radio.weblogs.com/0124865
The Connected PDA Treo 600 Moblog - http://mconnick.textamerica.com