• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Rolling Cart/Bins for Reference Files?

  • Thread starter Thread starter WebHund
  • Start date Start date
W

WebHund

Guest
Forum-Mates:

I'm looking for a rolling cart for reference files. I thought I had a good, solid Rubbermaid model identified, but when it arrived, it was pretty much a cheap plastic "Eldon" brand cart. Turns out Eldon is owned by Rubbermaid and the product was not quite as advertised in terms of sturdiness. Spouse took one look at it and laughed. :(

Can anyone recommend a rolling cart that meets the following requirements:

- Fits under standard desk.
- Has removable bins that handle hanging files (yes, I know, but that's what I'm stuck with)
- Lids
- Rolls on casters
- Doesn't feel like it will crumble at the first sneeze

Any suggestions?
 
This is what I've recently purchased to upgrade my reference files.
http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/...ductId=30061&langId=-1&parentCats=10121*13793

Previously I was using one single wicker hanging file box with a lid. It was tight since I use one hanging file for each reference file.

The Ikea item does not have a lid, nor does it use bins, but it fits great under my desk and love that it's long from front to back so I can keep ALL my files in one place. I'm actually thinking of buying another one in case I need to expand.

Durabitility: I've just purchased it, so only time will tell. Sometimes it's hit or miss with Ikea.

My friend had an idea that she was going to make a wooden cap or lid for on hers. I haven't seen it yet, but I would think if you used the plastic labels that come with hanging folders, a wood top would crush them.
 
Re: Rolling Cart/Bins for Reference Files?

WebHund said:
Can anyone recommend a rolling cart that meets the following requirements:

- Fits under standard desk.
- Has removable bins that handle hanging files (yes, I know, but that's what I'm stuck with)
- Lids
- Rolls on casters
- Doesn't feel like it will crumble at the first sneeze

Any suggestions?

Check levenger.com -- I've seen a couple rolling filing systems from them, and I can definitely vouch for the sturdiness of their wooden filing cabinets (mine are in new cherry wood -- both beautiful and functional).

Ambar
 
Top