• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Routine desk-bound work

The term “bookmark” is used a lot on this website.

For someone like me who works mainly at my desk, what does this mean in the GTD context, especially where a lot of the work is of a repetitive routine nature: reviewing files prepared by staff, raising and following up queries as necessary, arranging client meetings etc?.

If I have to leave a file review before it is finished, I could literally bookmark it with a piece of paper. Does anyone actually write down a bookmark/NA in these situations? “Restart file review at section H” for example?

I guess that if I have a project “finalise ABC audit”, then the NA when I am interrupted must be in the form “continue review at section H”. It seems like a slight case of overkill.

A similar problem also arises at the start of a task. I am doing my weekly review at the moment, and for some projects the NA just seems to be “Look at the client file to see if …” In trying to define a context for these NAs, I am just coming up with @desk.

(I am finding NA process very useful on non-routine stuff however).

What is anyone’s experience with this type of desk bound routine stuff?

Thanks

Dave
 
Re: Routine desk-bound work

Busydave said:
The term “bookmark” is used a lot on this website.

If I have to leave a file review before it is finished, I could literally bookmark it with a piece of paper. Does anyone actually write down a bookmark/NA in these situations? “Restart file review at section H” for example?

I guess that if I have a project “finalise ABC audit”, then the NA when I am interrupted must be in the form “continue review at section H”. It seems like a slight case of overkill.

This is exactly what I do. It's not overkill for me, it's a quick reminder of where I left off so that I don't waste time re-reviewing sections A-G. Even skimming through A-G to find where I stopped the last time can be time-consuming and frustrating.

Claudia
 
You bring up a good question with no easy answers. These are things I constantly wrestle with myself. I always go back to the reading a book analogy. Whenever I stop reading I leave the bookmark as a reminder where I left off (and my next action if you will) as opposed to keeping the page number in my head.

Your question is hard because simply reviewing a folder could be:

1. Do it now because it is a less than two minute task (Golden Rule).
2. Next action itself because the review is a single step action.
3. A project as David describes because the complete folder review has several actions and maybe some waiting for items.
4. A checklist item because it is something you just want to touch base with to see if everything is ok.

David uses the phrase "use your intuition" a lot. I'm finally realizing what I think he means, it is not so important to get everything categorized exactly "right", but that it is categorized somewhere in a system you trust you'll review regularly. And, believe me, I've greatly underestimated the "trust" part of that equation.

Mark
 
Since I'm one who uses the term, I guess I'll jump in. My field, computer system administration, is an extreme example of what David is describing when he talks about "knowledge work". I can come in, work a full day, and leave, and you won't see any physical change in my environment at all (unless it's weekly review day :-) The work that I do primarily involves thinking, deciding how to implement, and then executing on that plan... and none of it involves so much as a piece of paper.

So when the boss drops by to chat, if I'm in the middle of that process, I could lose a couple of hours worth of work if I don't quickly jot down my next action on the current project, before I do the context switch necessary to listen to what he's got on his mind. That's the value of the "bookmark" concept to me.
 
Top