Routines for a newbie

Tombo

Registered
Hello I was wonder in getting started with gtd what are some good daily routines to establish. This system is alien to my disorganized brain. Thanks

sholden

Registered
I have my work system setup in Outlook and I have it automatically open to my Calendar which I review first. Then I review my Next Action list before processing my email inbox.

mcogilvie

Registered
Hello I was wonder in getting started with gtd what are some good daily routines to establish. This system is alien to my disorganized brain. Thanks

I think in gettting started you need to do pretty much what David Allen says to do. The five step process thst begins with collecting has to be consciously applied until it becomes habitual.

There are no prescribed daily routines for GTD. Although many have them, there are others for whom there is no particular daily routine, and they are succcessful with GTD. This is actually a feature of GTD, not a bug. GTD is easy to restart after things go to pieces. The more you do it, the easier it is, but you don’t have to do things you don’t need or want to do. Try things and see what works for you. If they don’t work for you, don’t do them.

Oogiem

Registered
Collect everything you are concerned about, or working on in some form. I think it's ideal to start by collecting a single thought on a small piece of paper, I use the backs of small desktop calendars or small 3 x 5 inch notepads.

Create your inbox and put all those ntoes into it each day.

Also daily sit down and take each one aout and decide whether it's now trash, something you need to do soon or something that is in teh future. Trash is obvious, the do soon goes onto lists sorted by the context (critical tool or location you need to complete the task) and the rest go into someday maybe. Once a week or so review your lists, projects and the someday/maybe projects you ar enot working on to be sure you stillhave the right focus.

It all starts with the capture, process, organize of your thoughts and tasks.