• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

schedule vs defer

What criteria would you use to schedule a next action in your calendar vs using a @context. I seemed to have formed a habit of is I can't do it in 2mins, put everything in @context

thanks
 
Calendar is hard landscape

If it must be done one a given day and a given time it goes on the calendar. If it is does not have to be done at a definite time, it goes on a context list.

Now if you have a deadline looming you might chose to have a meeting with yourself to focus on that and put that meeting on your calendar.
 
Gideon;68684 said:
What criteria would you use to schedule a next action in your calendar vs using a @context.

If it has to be done at that particular time or on that particular day it goes in my calendar. If it can't start until a certain time or day, I put a start date in my listing of it but the action lives in the proper doing context. If I need to get to it as soon as I can, or it is an ongoing item I am actively working on then the actions go in the proper context list.

Examples: All from my lists that I worked from today.

1. Meet with FSA re Wool LDP 7/10 1pm is hard landscape goes on calendar

2. Pick up sausages from slaughterhouse goes on the @Delta & GJ list with a start date of today (they only just got done)

3. Take sausages to brewery goes on the @Paonia list and will get done when we go in to town next.

FSA office is in Delta so I got 1 & 2 done today. Number 3 will happen next time we go to town.
 
Any deadline goes into the calendar often with intermittent reminders (ex: report due in 2 weeks, make certain I start xyz). All next actions associated with that deadline will go into my context lists. If it's a next action that I will be doing at a particular day/time that'll go into the calendar. The weekly review also helps make certain that I know all my @context items and upcoming deadlines.

Anything on the calendar is treated seriously by me now. I'm on time and rarely miss a scheduled event. Prior to this separation my life was a bit more messy :???: .
 
You could also use a principle of "when would you like to be reminded of that action?". If that's a particular time or date then put it into the calendar. If that's somewhere in the future (asap) then use your @Context.
 
mwkoehler;68689 Now if you have a deadline looming you might chose to have a meeting with yourself to focus on that and put that meeting on your calendar.[/QUOTE said:
I really like that idea!
 
Oogiem;68693 said:
If it has to be done at that particular time or on that particular day it goes in my calendar. If it can't start until a certain time or day, I put a start date in my listing of it but the action lives in the proper doing context. If I need to get to it as soon as I can, or it is an ongoing item I am actively working on then the actions go in the proper context list.

Thanks I liked that checklist/thought process
 
sdann;68699 said:
Any deadline goes into the calendar often with intermittent reminders (ex: report due in 2 weeks, make certain I start xyz). All next actions associated with that deadline will go into my context lists. If it's a next action that I will be doing at a particular day/time that'll go into the calendar. The weekly review also helps make certain that I know all my @context items and upcoming deadlines.

Anything on the calendar is treated seriously by me now. I'm on time and rarely miss a scheduled event. Prior to this separation my life was a bit more messy :???: .

I'm glad your more organised! I like the intermittent reminder, cause sometimes I look control of what i should be doing. with so many NAs you become the caterpillar that didnt know which leg to move first :(
 
anton;68707 said:
You could also use a principle of "when would you like to be reminded of that action?". If that's a particular time or date then put it into the calendar. If that's somewhere in the future (asap) then use your @Context.

Thanks for that advice!
 
mwkoehler;68689 said:
Now if you have a deadline looming you might chose to have a meeting with yourself to focus on that and put that meeting on your calendar.

Nice said ! It's a matter whether it must be done at a certain date or not. An example, my dentist appointment is something that must go into my calendar, because if I'm not there at the specific time, that's it.
 
Top