sctive projects vs someday/maybe

A

Anonymous

I’m trying to get a better understanding of what should be included in an active projects list versus a someday/maybe list. Would a best practice be to include all projects that you’d like to have completed in the next year on the active projects list and everything else on a someday/maybe list?

I struggle because there are many projects that I want to complete over the next year, but don’t necessarily have time to move on right now. So I'm not sure if it is better to put them in and active projects list or someday/maybe

Can anyone provide some examples of how they make the split?

Thanks

markr

Registered
sctive projects vs someday/maybe

Active projects are ones that you have committed to move forward on, and should always have a next action (in another list). Someday/Maybe is for projects (and possibly single actions) that you want to remember, but you aren't doing anything about - for now. Meg Gott, one of the DA coaches, has a great article on the subject here.

To answer your question, I would say that you need to have most of the projects on the Someday/Maybe list, and (if it helps you to feel better) calendar reminders set up appropriately (November 1: activate "Santa" project; May 1: Start planning anniversary trip).

-Mark

A

Anonymous

active or non active projects

I agree Active projects are the ones you have 'activated' with at list one NA in your lists

I suggest having a intermediate 'projects on hold' list for projects you would like to tackle soon but not yet, and earlier than 'someday/maybe'

I personnaly have all projects on one list in my Palm and use the priorities feature to differentiate between active/on hold/ somedaymaybe, so the active ones are always on top of the list and the others get upgraded as needed.

HIH
Cheers :wink:
Ludmilla

A

Anonymous

Active, Someday, and Maybe Projects

Another vote for "active" meaning a project that is in progress with at least one N/A.

I have split my S/M list into two - Someday and Maybe. (Heresy!) For me, Someday means I will do it as soon as the necessary resources are available (could be time, money, another condition - eg "I will upgrade from my old Palm Vx when I have the financial werewithal.") Maybe is a project that I haven't yet committed to - eg "one of these days, wouldn't it be nice to renovate the ensuite bathroom?") Practically this means that during my weekly review, I will check each Someday project and see if all the necessary resources are available and therefore I am ready to activate it. The Maybe list gets only a quick once-over to see whether (a) I have decided to promote the project to Someday ie I've made the emotional commitment, (b) I've changed my mind and delete the darn thing altogether or (c) I leave it where it is because it's still incubating.

Claudia

J

Jason Womack

Defining projects...get that list complete

Hi there,

This is a point I make in all seminars. Get your Projects list complete, as soon as possible.

I think defining ALL of your projects (big, little, personal, professional) is a great exercise. Then, what you actually DO decide to work on then is top quality. The Someday/Maybe list, though, is what I suggest people utilize more. (I have 145 on it right now.) Might as well either dump the stuff or park it on S/M so you don't have to have anything actually to DO about it.
That way, you won't feel bad about your own agreements.

Sometimes, it's easy to avoid defining the project because it's too big ("amorphous, out of my control"), too small ("some dumb, dorky little thing") or too ambiguous ("I'm supposed to do WHAT?"). Interestingly, you would only avoid moving on it if the action step isn't clear enough or the project is not meaningful enough, given all your other projects. A great way to get around that is to completely define the successful outcome of the accumulation of action steps required to complete that "thing." For every active project on that list, ensure there is a "next action" defined and captured into your system. Finally, if you're still not getting it done, then slide it off the active list.

J

Jason Womack

Re: Defining projects...get that list complete

Jason Womack said:
Get your Projects list complete, as soon as possible.

"But how?" people ask me...

Go through your life and your workspace, and identify what you have commitment to completing. Start each "project" with one of these words (or something like it...)

Acquire
Activate
Adjust
Administer
Apply
Approve
Arrange
Assemble
Assist
Attain
Budget
Build