Sean Finn Interview

Barb

Registered
Anyone else having trouble downloading this interview through ITunes? Everything else is downloading just fine.

dschaffner

Registered
I'm having trouble as well. It shows up in itunes but the download doesn't appear to make progress.

Whoops. Strike that. It was real slow to start, but it did eventually download.

apinaud

Registered
Miss the old In conversation music, other than that has a lot of info...

DavidCo Team, this In Conversation are just incredible...

Thanks

sroeder

Registered
Questions I have from the interview

Excellent interview with Sean Finn. I was fascinated by someone who handles, simultaneously, so many major roles at once. I listened to it four times!

Several things were not clear to me, however:
(a) "place holders" - both Sean Finn and David Allen noted that GTD creates place holders that enable one to be diverted from one major area temporarily without feeling that you have lost your place in that arena so it is easy to return. Is this simply a natural consequence of having projects and next action lists or is there something else that I am missing? How do you create place holders in the GTD process?

(b) Sean Finn refers to things that prior to GTD also helped him. One of them had to do with something such as "personal energy" or similar phrase. Is this a program for physical health (diet, exercise, etc.) or is there more to this. And if so, is there some book or source that is particularly good to read?

(c) He referred to having a rhythm in one's workweek and the importance of ritual. I was completely unclear about his use of the word ritual. Any clarifications?

Thanks and I hope all of you enjoyed the CD as much as I did.

Steve

BrianK

Registered
sroeder;52930 said:
Several things were not clear to me, however:
(a) "place holders" - both Sean Finn and David Allen noted that GTD creates place holders that enable one to be diverted from one major area temporarily without feeling that you have lost your place in that arena so it is easy to return. Is this simply a natural consequence of having projects and next action lists or is there something else that I am missing? How do you create place holders in the GTD process?

I've always thought of place holders and next actions as synonymous. A next action is like a bookmark: it tells you what to do next on a particular project. When you have a next action clearly defined and parked in the right place, you can completely abandon all other thought about that project while working on something else, trusting that you can return at any time to that project and know exactly where you left off and how to move it forward. I interpreted Sean's comment the same way.

jeffreypheah

Registered
Place Holders, Personal Energy, Rhythm

Sroeder:

Place holders are simply anything, whether it be a NA listed on your lists, or something in your tickler file, or in your inbox, that will prompt you that there is something to be done. David has an excellent video clip here on Connect called "Dealing with Interuptions" that gives an excellent visual example.

There is an excellent book called "The Power of Full Engagement" that discusses this. Here is the link to amazon.com. [/URL]http://www.amazon.com/Power-Full-Engagement-Managing-Performance/dp/0743226747[/URL]

Finally, when I'm really "in the zone" (and I think this is what Sean is referring to) and working on moving projects forward and cleaning up next actions, one does feel a rhythm develop -- next action done, what's next? Next action done, what's next? And so on.

JH

MiataPops

Registered
apinaud;52922 said:
Miss the old In conversation music, other than that has a lot of info...

DavidCo Team, this In Conversation are just incredible...

Thanks

I agree. I have come to associate the old music to GTD. I actually play it during Weekly Review to pysch me up.

R

rgemm

GTD music

What is the name of the "old and new music" I would like to get it from itunes?

thanks,
Roland