• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Seeking Rx for good All-In-One Printer/Scanner/Fax, etc. for SOHO use?

Consider an alternative?

Kevin - I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for - and I apologize in advance . . . . . . BUT, in my experience the weak point of most multi-function printers (MFPs) is the scanner. Yes, it works, but is usually pretty slow and often lacks automatic double sided scanning, unless of course you're willing to spend much more money on the front end.

Perhaps you could consider:

1). Stand alone scanner: I recommend the Fujitsu S1500. It's very quick, scans both sides in a single pass, and has connectors to various other services including Evernote, DropBox, etc. I've been using Fujitsu scanner products for several years now and they are almost the singular reason that I've been able to move to a paperless (well, almost) existence.

2). Wireless laser printer: color if you need it, but frankly inkjet color printers do a better job of color rendition, so monochrome laser is fine for most use. Initial cost is much lower than MFP, replacement cartridges aren't too bad and they last a long, long time. I tend to stay with Brother or HP for these.

3). Use a fax to email/email to fax service: depending on your volume this can range from $0.00 (ad supported usually) to ~$100 per year. Many good providers available - I use www.myfax.com but there's a lot of good ones.

As I said, I know I didn't really answer your question, but just trying to fuel some alternative thoughts . . . .
 
Rogaine Warrior;100872 said:
Seeking recommendations for a good reliable WIRELESS all-in-one printer, scanner/copier. Prefer one where the replacement cartridges do NOT cost an arm and a leg. For SOHO – small office/home office use. Any suggestions? Thanks! Kevin
kevinquinley@verizon.net

I can give you some DO NOT get types. Nothing at all from HP ever. Terrible support for starters.

Personally I've moved away from multifunction to a dedicated scanner (I use a Fujitsu ScanSnap) and a single monochrome laser printer. I rarely need color printing and I do need the durability of laser for the sheep registration papers I print.

My next printer will be a Brother of some sort. decent support decent printers and reasonably priced cartridges.
 
johnaohman;100887 said:
Kevin - I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for - and I apologize in advance . . . . . . BUT, in my experience the weak point of most multi-function printers (MFPs) is the scanner. Yes, it works, but is usually pretty slow and often lacks automatic double sided scanning, unless of course you're willing to spend much more money on the front end.

Perhaps you could consider:

1). Stand alone scanner: I recommend the Fujitsu S1500. It's very quick, scans both sides in a single pass, and has connectors to various other services including Evernote, DropBox, etc. I've been using Fujitsu scanner products for several years now and they are almost the singular reason that I've been able to move to a paperless (well, almost) existence.

2). Wireless laser printer: color if you need it, but frankly inkjet color printers do a better job of color rendition, so monochrome laser is fine for most use. Initial cost is much lower than MFP, replacement cartridges aren't too bad and they last a long, long time. I tend to stay with Brother or HP for these.

3). Use a fax to email/email to fax service: depending on your volume this can range from $0.00 (ad supported usually) to ~$100 per year. Many good providers available - I use www.myfax.com but there's a lot of good ones.

As I said, I know I didn't really answer your question, but just trying to fuel some alternative thoughts . . . .

What John said! I have the s1500 that I got in March and it just plain rocks, the thing scans at 20 pages/minute double sided in all but the highest quality modes. Slowly been going paperless on everything.

I still have a functioning HP MFP that is on its last leg and will replace that with a color laser. I've done the math and the per page cost for laser is better. Larger hit per cartridge but they last much longer.

Is wireless an absolute requirement?
 
Top