Sequential projects

Maximilian

Registered
Hello,

how do you handle sequential projects?
I use OmniFocus for GTD.

In OmniFocus you can create “parallel” and “sequential” projects.
When I planned some project in detail, I already new in some cases, that I have to do first x after this y and then z. In this cases I used the sequential projects, which seemed useful to me, because in the next action lists appears only the current task. So only x and after completing it, y would appear.
I read currently the Setup Guide for OmniFocus from the David Allen Company. In there it is written, that they recommend to use only parallel projects, because after doing task x, the situation could change, so that you need not task y, but another new task.
But then I would have to check my project lists every day. Because when I complete task x and I don’t review the project at the same day, I wouldn’t add a new task. I would add it only during the weekly review, because I would see, that something is missing in this project.

That means, that I could complete only 1 task per week from the sequential projects, if I don’t check the whole project list daily.

But watching every day the whole Project lists besides emptying the inbox, seems to take much more time.
What are your advices/experiences?

cfoley

Registered
Your question suggests that you are planning every action for every project up front. Have I understood correctly?

I don't think that GTD encourages you to do that so the answer might be to enter only the next action and nothing else.

When I do want to include a plan, I tend to add it as a comment to the project. When entering the next "Next Action", I can either choose from the plan or -- more likely -- type one that was never on the plan.

Maximilian

Registered
Your question suggests that you are planning every action for every project up front. Have I understood correctly?

I don't think that GTD encourages you to do that so the answer might be to enter only the next action and nothing else.

When I do want to include a plan, I tend to add it as a comment to the project. When entering the next "Next Action", I can either choose from the plan or -- more likely -- type one that was never on the plan.
It depends. Normally I just put one next action to the project, but sometimes it‘s obvious how the next steps will be.

For example I give German lessons. Recently I bought a new teaching book. I prepare now the lessons from the book in advance. So it’s clear that I first prepare lesson 1, then lesson 2etc.
In such cases I just think it’s more efficient to plan every action (in that case the lessons) in advance.
What’s your opinion?

My second question is, how do you ensure to keep the project going during the week?

Because when you watch your context-lists, then you don’t know which project needs a next step.
You could either check every project every day for sure or at the weekly review...

cfoley

Registered
I would question the value of enumerating this list ahead of time. The next action is obvious, given the one you have just completed.
  • Prepare lesson 1.
  • Prepare lesson 2.
  • Prepare lesson 3.
  • etc.
If efficiency of list management is the goal then I might go for:
  • Prepare lesson 1 of 20.
And then when this is done, edit the action so it says 2 of 20.

As a counter example, here is a sequence that I do consider valuable to enumerate:

My second question is, how do you ensure to keep the project going during the week?

I add the new "Next Action" whenever I check off the "Next Action" in my lists.

bishblaize

Registered
Hello,

how do you handle sequential projects?
I use OmniFocus for GTD.

In OmniFocus you can create “parallel” and “sequential” projects.
When I planned some project in detail, I already new in some cases, that I have to do first x after this y and then z. In this cases I used the sequential projects, which seemed useful to me, because in the next action lists appears only the current task. So only x and after completing it, y would appear.
I read currently the Setup Guide for OmniFocus from the David Allen Company. In there it is written, that they recommend to use only parallel projects, because after doing task x, the situation could change, so that you need not task y, but another new task.
But then I would have to check my project lists every day. Because when I complete task x and I don’t review the project at the same day, I wouldn’t add a new task. I would add it only during the weekly review, because I would see, that something is missing in this project.

That means, that I could complete only 1 task per week from the sequential projects, if I don’t check the whole project list daily.

But watching every day the whole Project lists besides emptying the inbox, seems to take much more time.
What are your advices/experiences?
Firstly, if your work is very systems driven and predictable then there's nothing wrong with preplanning next actions. In my role that simply wouldn't work because projects often end up being very different to what I expected, if I used sequential next actions I'd regularly have wrong/impossible next actions in my task manager, which would be very confusing. So YMMV.

Secondly, you don't have to check every project every day to stay current. When you tick off a next action, if time allows its a good habit to go the project the next action comes from and update the next step, especially if its a Waiting For. That way you've always got a current next action per project. Of course sometimes you don't have time, or the next step isn't obvious and needs a bit of thinking, in which case it'll wait for the weekly review.

As a bonus tip since you use Omnifocus, you can see which next actions you've completed recently by going to View->Completed. This makes it easy to update any projects you've worked on recently. Right click the completed Next Action->Show in Projects then add whatever the next step is. I do this most mornings as part of my morning checklist to make sure my Projects are current.

Maximilian

Registered
I would question the value of enumerating this list ahead of time. The next action is obvious, given the one you have just completed.
  • Prepare lesson 1.
  • Prepare lesson 2.
  • Prepare lesson 3.
  • etc.
If efficiency of list management is the goal then I might go for:
  • Prepare lesson 1 of 20.
And then when this is done, edit the action so it says 2 of 20.
Thanks, that's a good idea, to not overstructure all the lists and make them more compact but still clear enough to know exactly, what I have to do.

Maximilian

Registered
Secondly, you don't have to check every project every day to stay current. When you tick off a next action, if time allows its a good habit to go the project the next action comes from and update the next step, especially if its a Waiting For. That way you've always got a current next action per project. Of course sometimes you don't have time, or the next step isn't obvious and needs a bit of thinking, in which case it'll wait for the weekly review.
That's a good idea and goes also confirm with the 3 types of engagement, David Allens writes in his book: you can either do the tasks from your lists or the things which happens now (e.g. an unexpected but important call that needs to be addressed immediately) or organizing you projects, next steps etc.
As a bonus tip since you use Omnifocus, you can see which next actions you've completed recently by going to View->Completed. This makes it easy to update any projects you've worked on recently. Right click the completed Next Action->Show in Projects then add whatever the next step is. I do this most mornings as part of my morning checklist to make sure my Projects are current.
Nice strategy :)

Gardener

Registered
Because when I complete task x and I don’t review the project at the same day, I wouldn’t add a new task. I would add it only during the weekly review, because I would see, that something is missing in this project.

I regard the weekly review as the time when you catch the projects that you accidentally forgot to add another Next Action for, rather than the time that you usually add Next Actions.

I used to plan projects in advance. After a while, I noticed how many projects had a Next Action that was something like, "Clean up this project's actions." Now I generally have either just one action, or I have one modest accomplishment that's broken up at the spots where I know I might be interrupted.

So, I could have:

- Plant shallots in first two beds of Row 9

But I realize that interruptions are likely to occur, so I split that into:

- Clear shallot area
- Amend/prep shallot area
- Plant shallots

But that's all. I don't then add tasks for planting garlic, and lettuce, and peonies, and so on and so on. All that goes into my "garden thoughts" Someday/Maybe list.

After I do get those shallots planted, when I've washed the mud off my hands and collapsed into my garden rocker, I'll probably open OmniFocus on my phone, check off the shallots task(s), and add, maybe:

- Weed leftmost strawberry bed
- Fork unplanted part of leftmost strawberry bed.
- WAITING FOR compost.