Setting up your day

pgarth

Registered
I have worked hard at getting my GTD system up and running, and, while it has been marvelous at capturing everything that I need to keep track of, I am struggling a bit with engaging. I have started my daily reviews each morning, and that is helpful, but I'm wondering the best way to prioritize what to do each day without giving a deadline to things that don't have one. So, for example. I have an action that has to be done by Monday afternoon. Obviously, when I look at the Today view in Things (my chosen app for tracking,) that action is listed, but what about the 3-4 action items off my list that are of the highest priority for that day? They aren't "due" that day, but they are the most pressing. My thought is that, in Things, I can set a "do" date that is not a "due" date. That way the actions that I have prioritized are front and center on Today, but, I admit, that's kind of like setting a due date and calling it something else. How do you focus and approach your day?
“Has to done by Monday afternoon”.

I think that lives in calendar only. If you have several “has to…” actions, it’s easier to see on a calendar in whatever order makes sense on that day.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
“Has to done by Monday afternoon”.

I think that lives in calendar only. If you have several “has to…” actions, it’s easier to see on a calendar in whatever order makes sense on that day.
What the course I deliver (the Crucial Learning version) advices, is that things that happen ON a date goes into the calendar, and things that should be done BY a date goes on the next actions list with a due date.

However, giving yourself a reminder a bit before the due date is not a bad idea...