Should I buy a date stamp?

cfoley

Registered
I use index cards for all my projects, and I write the date on each one. I also write the date on every waiting for entry, which is paper based too.

I had a project to get a date stamp to go alongside my labeller. I thought it would be fun to stamp the date instead of write it. I even got as far as the checkout on Amazon, but then as I was about to place the order I realised that it conflicts with one of my values.

I value simplicity and baulk at unnecessary consumerism. I can write the date with the pencil I already have. The stamp is not necessary. I will have to look after it, stock a supply of ink pads, make sure my cat doesn't play with the messy inky thing when I am out, change the date every day. The act of buying it will feed consumerism in a small way and it will eventually end up in landfill where it will stay long after I am gone from the planet.

At the same time, I believe that cool gear that I enjoy and am attracted to using helps my productivity and I accept necessary complexity and responsible consumerism.

Has anyone used date stamps in a paper-based GTD system? Would you recommend one? Is it like the labeller in that the value it provides isn't obvious until you've used one?

Murray

Registered
I can only speak generally, having never used a date stamp. If it's going to help you engage with your system and your life productively, then you will be showing up more fully in the world and this is a good thing.

Perhaps give it a try? You can always sell it or give it away later.

Otherwise put in on your someday/maybe list and see if it's still calling to you in a month or so.

schmeggahead

Registered
Has anyone used date stamps in a paper-based GTD system?
I am on my second round of date stamps. They only have so many years on them.

I bought mine from Staples in the US. I bought 2 actually, one for work office and one for home office. I recently had to replace them because the years ended in 2021. My new one goes until 2029.

The stamp changed my habits so much that when I go out on the patio to clarify items, it is one of the items that I bother to carry with me. It's used more than my labeler.

I use my date stamp on project support material when I update my project controls sheets or update how an Area of Focus is going.

Good luck and I hope it is as helpful for you as it is for me.

Clayton

Knowing when it happened, gives a unique context, clarifies degree of impact or need for action.

cfoley

Registered
Thanks! That is exactly the sort of personal experience I was hoping to hear. Would you mind sharing which model you use?

David Parker

GTD Connect
I use index cards for all my projects, and I write the date on each one. I also write the date on every waiting for entry, which is paper based too.

I had a project to get a date stamp to go alongside my labeller. I thought it would be fun to stamp the date instead of write it. I even got as far as the checkout on Amazon, but then as I was about to place the order I realised that it conflicts with one of my values.

I value simplicity and baulk at unnecessary consumerism. I can write the date with the pencil I already have. The stamp is not necessary. I will have to look after it, stock a supply of ink pads, make sure my cat doesn't play with the messy inky thing when I am out, change the date every day. The act of buying it will feed consumerism in a small way and it will eventually end up in landfill where it will stay long after I am gone from the planet.

At the same time, I believe that cool gear that I enjoy and am attracted to using helps my productivity and I accept necessary complexity and responsible consumerism.

Has anyone used date stamps in a paper-based GTD system? Would you recommend one? Is it like the labeller in that the value it provides isn't obvious until you've used one?
I'm not particularly trying to unconvince you but consider this:

If the act of actually writing the date makes you think more about the significance of the date - is it correct, what's the implication of the date etc.- then are you more likely to adhere to that date?

What if you just stamp the date, but it's wrong (you forgot to reset it)? Things can start to get a bit messy. It's much easier to rub it out and correct it.

There's evidence that the mere act of writing something longhand (rather than typing it) makes you more likely to remember it and understand it than if it's added mechanically.

You've already got some of those benefits by using a paper-based GTD system - a date stamp might weaken it!

schmeggahead

Registered
There's evidence that the mere act of writing something longhand (rather than typing it) makes you more likely to remember it and understand it than if it's added mechanically.
Before I start working my system, I set my date stamp to today's date. It is used to date stamp today only. It is a convenient way to say "this is written today".

If other dates are needed, I write them out for just the reason stated above.

I use my date stamp as is used in log entries. It is only the current date that is attached to an item. Star Date 5743.1 ...

Clayton

When I want to know the date something happened, I better mark it the day it happens or the opportunity cost to research when it did happen is high.

Murray

Registered
I use my date stamp as is used in log entries. It is only the current date that is attached to an item. Star Date 5743.1 ...
"Captain's log... This planet is home to a strange culture. Most of its humanoid inhabitants persist in thinking the same thoughts endlessly, like a starved dog gnawing the ends of an old bone, despite a more humane mental technology having been readily available for decades."

cfoley

Registered

If the act of actually writing the date makes you think more about the significance of the date - is it correct, what's the implication of the date etc.- then are you more likely to adhere to that date?

You've already got some of those benefits by using a paper-based GTD system - a date stamp might weaken it!

This is an interesting point. I've heard similar before in the context of taking lecture notes, and I feel more engaged with my paper-based lists than I do with the computer-based ones I used to use. I have noticed that I am more likely to remember the date since I started writing it on each project entry and I think you may be right that using a date stamp might erode that.

Something to reflect on is that the computer system I used to use timestamped everything automatically, and wouldn't even show me unless I brought up a detailed view of the item. I was about as disconnected from those timestamps as you could get!

I think this is one for me to consider on some more. I think I'll stick with the status quo just now.

JenniferOrigami

Content Creator, Origami Twist YouTube Channel
Yes. I HIGHLY recommend it. I own two (Deskmate RP-2441D). The ones I have self-ink, so no stamp pad to buy, it has something like 10 years of use if you prefer to use the year too and use until it breaks if you don't mind not using the year, and the satisfaction & finality of the that click-clack when the stamp does its job is very satisfying.

Re: future landfill content, you make an excellent point. If you want one, but don't want to click add to cart I would consider checking out secondhand shops or Ebay first. I found my second one at Salvos here in Australia (The shop is called Salvation Army Store in the states). It was gently used and all I had to do is buy a refill ink pad, which last for thousands of impressions.

Last edited:

cfoley

Registered
I was in a stationary shop looking for other things. I saw a date stamp under £10 so I just bought it.

I've been enjoying using it.

It slightly erodes my knowledge of the current date but as I look at my calendar several times a day, I don't feel like anything is out of control.

I forgot to change the month so went from 30-NOV to 01-NOV. Oops!

Thanks for all the perspectives everyone!

I would consider checking out secondhand shops or Ebay first.
Unfortunately, I bought it on impulse in the end but if I choose to get rid of it, then I will go for the charity shop option.